Downloading from Newsgroups The End of the Nightmare

If you have heard of Newsgroups/Usenet before and found them to be too much trouble to deal with, Then you will want to stay tuned into this thread.

There is now a way to download from Newsgroups that is

EASY- If you are reading this and can make a post in this thread you can do it.

FAST- Very very very fast. A lot of the time the only restriction is what your ISP can handle.

FREE- Yes I said free (not one cent) no ads, no BS.
OK you want to know how. Right ?

Just make a post here and I will be back within 24 hours after I do some final tests.

damn you mean to say my 30$ membership to athenanews is gone for nothing :evil:

how could you do this :p If its gonna be free... you are gonna get some negative reps from me :p you bet you gonna :D :D :eek:hyeah:

<waiting to unleash hell> :evil:

Ok here's a taste. LoL

Code:
http://www.elfqrin.com/hacklab/pages/nntpserv.php

BTW After I let the rest of the cat out of the bag I want to be moved to GOD STATUS. :eek:hyeah:

looks cool, but if its free servers, then wasn't this there earlier also..
with the associated probs of speed in heavy traffic and all?

wow....

but my point was that as it becomes popular, won't the heavy load thats accompanies with u/l d/l of files cause the speed loss due to huge BW... apart from server closure.
Cos after all these are free servers.. sustaining the service with this kinda traffic will me a tall ask. But having said that, we will cross the bridge when we reach it... :p

Right now 5 stars and reps tou you ;)

Sorry for the delay. I have been doing some testing.

Here is some good news. I have found two FREE servers that you can download binaries from. They are .....

news.centennialpr.net

bigglup.readfreenews.net
The not so good news is that the speed from them is not nearly as good as I was hopeing to get. Average of only 9 KB/s for each allthough in 12 hours I didn't lose my connection with ether one.

hey guys.
I have always relied on P2P clients like kazza, now days sharezza and bittorrents.
i never bothered using newsgroups.
So any light on how to coneect, use, search etc?

funkymonkey said:
hey guys.
I have always relied on P2P clients like kazza, now days sharezza and bittorrents.
i never bothered using newsgroups.
So any light on how to coneect, use, search etc?

A while back when I used a VSNL account I used to connect the newsgroups with the software "Agent" - is this still the way to do it ? Man I have forgotten the whole chakkar .... I remember there used to be a version of this software named "FREE Agent" which was totally FREE to use.

I remember the VSNL newsgroup server used to be 202.54.1.25 - anyone on VSNL can check if this is still available. VSNL were at that time one of the few ISP's that had not blocked out any of the p*rn groups. :eek:hyeah:

ok noobs :p
first of all newsgroups are THE medium for file sharing or mainly info sharing. So if you are looking for quality new and exclusive releases, they are on newsgroups. Incidentally they are a wealth of knowledge (though what you call knowledge is debatable ;) but every person looks at his aspects)

As far as newsgroups go, there are many sites which allow you to browse the text articles on newsgroups. Free!! but the key is in actually downloading and getting the files. As is said above, for most the real content is the sheer information and the massive help network you have via newsgroups but for many including me and i guess nitnay joins the league ;) :p we also want the files.
anyway if you want to learn more about this try this site...
[rank=members.tripod.com/~Kevin_Butler/newsgroups.html]
Very basic intro[/rank]
you can get more info [rank=www.learnthenet.com/english/html/26nwsgrp.htm]here[/rank]

and ofcourse you can browse some via our own google(usenet) [rank=groups-beta.google.com]here[/rank]

here is a word of caution. I have delibrately not given many other search sites and newsgroup site links. Due to the nature of the thing, its not too difficult to see that you have all kinds of junk on newsgroups.. and by that i mean all kind. And in some cases the kind of content that will land you in jail or get you on most wanted list. Use discretion and be safe.

coming back to the topic, VSNL closed newsgroups access for some time now(or i sure think they did)
and nitnay.. mate averaging 1Kbps man :(
looks like athenanews pays ;)

I really thought I was on to sometime with this, what I have found out in the past is still true today. Unless you want to pay for access to a good News Server as far downloading is concerned I think I'm better off using AutoXDCC and the IRC network.

^^ i told you this at start :eek:hyeah:
Nothing good comes free (now i better brace myself for attacks from the linux lovers:p )

Back