Dravid named captain for Sri Lanka tour

TheBroker

Skilled
The national selectors today named Rahul Dravid as the captain of the 15-member Indian squad for the cricket tri-series beginning in Sri Lanka on July 30.

Ganguly, serving a six-match ban from one-day internationals, was provisionally included as the 16th member of the squad.

His participation is subject to the ban being lifted by the International Cricket Council in time for the series. A six-match ban was slapped on Ganguly for a slow over rate during the India-Pakistan series earlier this year.

New faces

There was no major overhauling in the rest of the team either indicating the selectors' faith in the basic core of the team, though Sachin Tendulkar was unavailable for selection since he is recovering from an elbow surgery.

In a positive sign, the selectors have considered domestic performances in bringing fresh blood into the team, the most encouraging inclusion being J P Yadav who returns to the national side based on his all round performance for Railways last year.

A new coach has also meant two totally new faces - Suresh Raina and Venugopal Rao.

While Suresh Raina was a vital member of India's Under 19 team in last year's World Cup, Rao's knock of 91 in Sunday's benefit game was only one more addition to a list of high scores for Andhra Pradesh.

Stylish middle order batsman VVS Laxman staged a comeback to the one-day team while Ajit Agarkar, Dinesh Mongia and Murali Kartik were omitted for the series, which has West Indies as the third team.

Meanwhile, Rahul Dravid will lead India in a full series for the first time and it's a good time to test his leadership skills. He has a new coach, the basic core for a strong team and fresh faces with untapped talent.

Squad: Rahul Dravid (capt), Virender Sehwag (vice-capt), VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mohd Kaif, Suresh Raina, Venugopal Rao, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh, Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan, Irfan Pathan, L Balaji, Ashish Nehra and J P Yadav. Sourav Ganguly - 16th member. (With PTI inputs)

Source

sounds good, the evolution is coming up, but the matter is will dravid come up with the team.Considering the history of his captainsy,India has won of 55% match. Might the magic of the new coach work for them.
hey wotsupp with kaif ,is he in or out??

agarkar again scapegoat......why he misses the one day squad????and why every next game injured nehra doin in the squad????

LOL ... nehra injures himself everytime he plays
wonder why agarkar is not in the squad, i think he is droped out for the series, cuz of irfan, and other bowlers who r in better form than agarkar

damn agarkar bats well....yup he is suffering in bowling dept...but he must b given little mor time to settle..everytime when he takes 6 wickets...and then 2 match costly(high runs)....drop frm the squad....nehra on the contrary does some fitness problem to get safe....

magnet said:
damn agarkar bats well....yup he is suffering in bowling dept...but he must b given little mor time to settle..everytime when he takes 6 wickets...and then 2 match costly(high runs)....drop frm the squad....nehra on the contrary does some fitness problem to get safe....

agarkar was touted to be an allrounder...but recently,he himself admitted that he is more of a bowler than a batsman...i think he was scrapped due to his poor bowling performances in recent tours

rahul dravid has the matter which is needed 2 become a captain
it may take him a while 2 become a succesfull captain but should become better captain than sourav
agarkar plays one match but runs out of form for 10 matches on the other hand nehra plays one match gets injured and has 2 rest so he doesnt play the next match like agarkar would have

i think....nehra gets injured the very next match when he is hitted 4 60+runs....he knows he will b out 4 next match so instead of getting dropped he does this injury thing....i guess zaher also follows the same thing........nyways....i guess pathan and balaji r mor better than this combination.....both bats well...but zaher batting is improving(i guess he has stopped going to disc....and concentrating on it)...........btw the thing i m happy abt this squad is we hav an allround wicketkeeper now.........so now we jus need to concentrate on fielding dept(specially anil kumble...why is he kept on boundary....damn slow there)

anil kumble does not have good reflexes so no place for him in the slips/gully
a bad filder so no place neararound the batsmen or inside the 30 yard circle
so eventually the region near the boundry where the batsmen dont hit much is the best place for him

Back