Driver recommendation for 6600GT

undertaker

Skilled
Guys had a little problem with the 77.72 drivers.NFSU:2 would lock-up.First I thought-there must be some system error like wrong agp setting,tight memory timings etc.(even though I check my overclocks for absolute stability) but no.As soon as I went from 77.72 to 77.30,it works fine.Whats up with these 'whql' drivers anyway?
Also it seems that nfsu:2 doesn't interact properly with the forceware drivers.Coz when I set AA to low in game,it becomes at a slide show and when I set it to medium or high it runs very well.(at 1280x960,all high) :rofl:
So what is the driver you guys use with ur 6600Gts,AGP?

I use XG Forceware 76.50 with my 6800GT. It is all the same anyway.....

I find this driver more stable and better than the WHQL nvidia driver. the latest WHQL made my videos into crap.

I had to revert back to XG 76.50 and it worked fine...

I have found their latest 'whql' releases to be particularly bad.May be the Vole is trying to screw Nvidia now that they have teamed up with ATi for the XBOX 360.
Its time there was a viable gaming alternative to windows.Perhaps an Nvidia version of Linux....

I'm using Forceware Beta 80.40 for my 6600gt, donno about about nfs u2, but i saw a huge increase in performance in GTA San andreas and Colinn Mcrally 2005 compared to earlier 71.89 drivers which i was using.

I second ur view, Nikhil. The latest drivers are crap coz after installing them, videos started ghosting as though running at 4 bit color depth. My opinion - Latest WHQL is pure bulls@#t.

71.89, all games work fine excepr nascar racing 2003 season locks up randomly.
Sometimes I can do 30 laps without locking, but more often than not it will lock up in the pace lap itself.

Totally crap driver testing, each update brings about new bugs with older games.
67.66's and 71.20's were perfect.

Trying 77.50.80.40 are buggy here,nfsu:2 reverts to dx8!
Wonder how the 77.72 got the "WHQL" status!!!!
Its not that we are b**ching about it not working with GF 2MX!Its creating problems for two of the most popular cards out there currently from nv stable-the 6600GT and the 6800GT. :mad:

77.50 seem good so far.Lets see..
It seems that those drivers made for gf6 and 7 only work better with nv40+ cards compared with previous generations.May be because of the radically different architectures.Perhaps it time to give up the unified driver thing.

I am using 77.72 for my 6800GT. Yes its true that video playback is getting affected due to these drivers. This is because of change in gamma value. If you want to use these drivers and get the videos correctly, just go to color correction settings and change color profile setting from standard to advanced.

Back