Droid Unlocking

Amaresh

Adept
Hey guys,

Thinking of asking someone to get me the Motorola Droid A855. My question is, how easy is it to unlock and jailbreak it ?

Thanks in advance!

The GSM variant of the Motorola Droid is called Milestone, and it is going to be launched in EU soon. You should expect it to come to India by February. It will be priced around 30k as it has no on-board memory but comes bundled with a 8/16GB microSDHC card.

Till now, there is no technique out there to successfully unlock the CDMA Droid, or even "jailbreak" it, as it runs on Android 2.0 (Eclair).

Hmm, so is it advisable to have someone bring the Milestone over from the states or should I just wait and get it from here ?

I am not so sure if the GSM version will be launched in the US at all. If and when it is, it will be retailing at a price of about $500 if not more. Therefore spending an extra amount to get local warranty would turn out to be very much worth it.

However, it would do no harm to source it from the US, as we don't have any return or exchange policies in India. So if you don't like the phone all that much, then your only option will be to sell it. If you are OK with that, then getting it from the US might work out fine.

I am saying that you might not like it all that much, because people who have used the Motorola A855 have a love-hate thing with it. Either they love it too much or they cannot stop hating it. Check out some of the reviews on the net to know more.

Just wait for the Milestone. You should be able to get it off eBay UK/US soon for a much more competitive rate than what it'll be sold for in India!

I see, thanks for your help.

Also, how does the G1 rank in comparison to the Milestone ? It should be quite cheaper I'm guessing but would you recommend it ?

Actually, the GSM version of the Droid is already available in HK as well as at major high street stores across Europe. Prices are hovering around the 33k-34k mark in Europe and a tad more than 30k in HK.

If you need one in the US, the Milestone is up for preorder on the MCI web site for 750 bucks. Motorola A855 DROID Smartphone Black Unlocked Import at MobileCityOnline.com

In the UK, it's available via major retailers like Expansys & Clove.

EDIT: Available for 31k in Dubai.

Back