Car & Bike Drop in fuel efficiency after service

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
I had taken my '99 Honda Accord (2.3L 4 cylinder) for its 150,000 mile (approx. 240,000 km) service a few months ago to a reputable automotive service chain here in the states. It was in amazing running condition before the service, but wanted to follow the factory service schedule to be safe.

The problem is I used to get 21\30 mpg city\highway (9\13 kmpl) before the service, and now I get 17\21 mpg (7\9 kmpl).

Here are the list of replacements they made either as a part of the 150k scheduled maintenance, or any issues they discovered during the service, followed by some additional info which may be relevant to the drop in mileage

• Air filter
  • Spark plugs
  • Ignition wire set (apparently the old ones weren't installed properly and had melted)
  • Oil filter
  • High mileage engine oil
  • Tire rotation
  • Power steering system flush

After the tire rotation, there seemed to be a slight misalignment. ie the car drifts slightly to the right when on the highway. I know unbalanced\misaligned wheels cause a drop in efficiency, but such a drastic drop?

The air filter they replaced was a reusable type which is meant to be better than the stock filter. (from what i read in the Ricer vs. Sleeper thread). Dont know why they replaced it, i expected them to realize what it was when they saw it. Would that effect fuel efficiency?

Well, those are the only theories I have as of now apart from the service center adjusting the fuel injection settings.

One more thing, the honda's "maintenance reqd." light came up just before the 150k mark to remind me of the upcoming service. After the service, however, it is still on.

Back