Storage Solutions Dropped the hard disk :(

Rahul

Skilled
While fixing my download rig yesterday i accidently dropped my more than 6 year old 80gb HDD(power on time is 16200 hours shown by HDTune) inside the cabinet :(

well it was detected in bios, this is not my OS disk ..... so OS loaded up fine but this hard disk was not shown in "my computer".

in windows disk management the harddisk is shown as single drive, no partitions. drive is not initialized and shows as 74GB unallocated space

i tried intializing it as there was no important data in it but it gives a error, i tried using getdataback software and it was able to recover most of the data from the HDD. can anyone tell me what wrong with the HDD ? because if the recovery software can read off it then i guess HDD is ok ....

Unallocated space means it has lost file system on it may be FAT32/NTFS etc. After necessary recovery, format your HDD in FAT32/NTFS and it would be detected by Windows/My computer. Simple reason for not showing in my computer is HDD is unformatted.

U have lost your Partition table. You can recover it easily by using tools like RStudio NTFS or partition table doctor (recommended). Once u run PTD u will have ur drive back as-it-was. Run a bad sector check to be sure all is Ok.

*Raj* said:
Unallocated space means it has lost file system on it may be FAT32/NTFS etc. After necessary recovery, format your HDD in FAT32/NTFS and it would be detected by Windows/My computer. Simple reason for not showing in my computer is HDD is unformatted.

yeah it has lost file system but to format it i need to intialize the HDD, when i try doing that disk management gives a error .....

axeman said:
U have lost your Partition table. You can recover it easily by using tools like RStudio NTFS or partition table doctor (recommended). Once u run PTD u will have ur drive back as-it-was. Run a bad sector check to be sure all is Ok.

i have tried recovering the partitions using "partrecovery" software but it was not able to detect the partitions, i will again try using the software you have suggested, thanks.

Anything could have gone wrong. Did the PCB take the impact? Sounds possible looking at your symptoms. I recommend just moving on and getting a new disk. It's a download rig as it is, data loss isn't a good thing :p

The weight itself is enough for damage. and i assume the height of fall was around 1m. Well gudluck with formatting and testing.

few weeks back I also dropped my new 320GB WD Caviar HDD while putting it into the cabinet after transferring data from another PC. It got felt from the edge of my bed (box type) straight to the marble floor. I was feeling f***ed on that moment :crutch: ....but wen i ran the OS after installing HDD, it was just fine and working as new till now...!!! no issues yet.:gunsmile: I think i'm lucky in this case. :yahoo:

Well, get a reinitialization utility from your HDD manufacturer's website. They are generally bootable disks.

Connect the drive as the only HDD to the computer (connect internally, not externally), remove the HDD in which you have installed the OS.

Now boot from the bootable disk and reinitialize the HDD. It should work.

thanks everyone .... well i tried all the software but partition was not recoverable, well for now i have disconnected the HDD ..... will try initializing it again in weekend or sometime, well its very old HDD so might have gone bad, it has run almost 16200 hours which is the maximum i have seen on any HDD lol ......

Have you run R Studio NTFS to recover your old data? This should always work even if the partition cannot be recovered.

Back