Storage Solutions DRU 810 tray coming out & going in

janitha

Adept
My Sony DRU 810-A had worked well for almost exactly 2 years without any issues. But from yesterday the tray is coming out and going in on its own every few minutes, without any disc in it. What may be the cause and any possible solution?

Checked with Avast AV, Spybot, Ad Aware and Windows Defender (which are always updated) and nothing detected. Also using genuine XP, regularly updated and not in the habit of visiting potentially dangerous sites.

It happens to my Liteon drive too. its about 4 years old. From what i've gathered, its got something to do with the try motor and the eject button. I just hold the try when its out to prevent it from going in again :p

checksum said:
It happens to my Liteon drive too. its about 4 years old. From what i've gathered, its got something to do with the try motor and the eject button. I just hold the try when its out to prevent it from going in again :p

But isn't it likely to cause physical damage to the gear mechanism?

uhh ...sorry to hijack this thread. lolz..but ive got the a problem which is kind of opposite to the above..

i ve got DRU 820A (OEM)which has been cross flashed to LITE ON SHW 160P6S

it worked perfectly sine last 1 yr or so..(even after flashing the firmware).but recently ..the tray of the drive has kind off behaving weired..

when i press the eject button on the drive there is a noise (the same noise which we can hear when the drive tray comes out) but in my case the tray just doesnt come out...the green light on the dvd writer flashes for a 2-3 seconds..the drive makes a noise as if the tray is trying to come out..but it doesnt come out..as if some one is stopping it from coming out..

only after pressing the eject button almost 4-5 times and sometimes beating the dvd writer a little bit (not very hard) ..the tray comes out..

really weired..i guess something is wrong with the tray's mechanism

anyway i can solve this or anyplace in navimumbai\vashi where i can get the tray repaired.. ??

janitha said:
Checked with Avast AV, Spybot, Ad Aware and Windows Defender (which are always updated) and nothing detected. Also using genuine XP, regularly updated and not in the habit of visiting potentially dangerous sites.

Restore back your XP, may be some Update makes problem. :)

HTH

faheem_m said:
uhh ...sorry to hijack this thread. lolz..but ive got the a problem which is kind of opposite to the above..

i ve got DRU 820A (OEM)which has been cross flashed to LITE ON SHW 160P6S

it worked perfectly sine last 1 yr or so..(even after flashing the firmware).but recently ..the tray of the drive has kind off behaving weired..

when i press the eject button on the drive there is a noise (the same noise which we can hear when the drive tray comes out) but in my case the tray just doesnt come out...the green light on the dvd writer flashes for a 2-3 seconds..the drive makes a noise as if the tray is trying to come out..but it doesnt come out..as if some one is stopping it from coming out..

only after pressing the eject button almost 4-5 times and sometimes beating the dvd writer a little bit (not very hard) ..the tray comes out..

really weired..i guess something is wrong with the tray's mechanism

anyway i can solve this or anyplace in navimumbai\vashi where i can get the tray repaired.. ??

any solution for this ?:p

Stick said:
Restore back your XP, may be some Update makes problem. :)

HTH

OMG, in all possibility you are correct and it occurred after I installed this month's windows updates yesterday. But unfortunately, after that I removed all previous restore points to save space.

faheem_m said:
any solution for this ?:p

the band connecting the tray & the motor is prolly worn out..shd be a piece of cake to fix it ..
if u can open the drive yourself .. u can remove tat band replace well within rs.10 .. else take it to a h/w shop / maniac & get it done..:rofl:

super_saiyan said:
the band connecting the tray & the motor is prolly worn out..shd be a piece of cake to fix it ..
if u can open the drive yourself .. u can remove tat band replace well within rs.10 .. else take it to a h/w shop / maniac & get it done..:rofl:

Thanks. Shall try that out once it is sure there is no other easy way out. Had practiced with an old CD drive.

janitha said:
Thanks. Shall try that out once it is sure there is no other easy way out. Had practiced with an old CD drive.

hey janitha i think that solution was for my problem and not yours..but maybe evne u can try it..if u r problem is not a software problem..

and yeah thanx super saiyan !!

Despite warnings everywhere against Samsung ODDs but recommended in another thread as well as the opinions at cdfreaks bought SH-S203B/IDBH for 1.43K. It is box pack and SATA with Nero 7 suite. Hope it won't end up with tray problems.

Back