Camera DSLR: Canon 100D or 700D

zopeon

Disciple
I am looking to get a DSLR and this being my first didnt want to go for 70D or Nikon 7100. I am currently in Taiwan (3 more years). The prices seem same as US after tax (at least on Canon Taiwan website).
100D with 18-55 IS STM is 40000 Rs and 700D with 18-55 IS STM is 46000 Rs.
I liked 100D as I don't see much use of articulated LCD (although would be nice to have). The problem is I want to go for 18-135 IS-STM, and 700D with 18-135 is 56000 Rs.
From what I read, the major drawback for 100D was it becomes difficult to grip with zoom lenses.
Can someone with experience with them comment?
Thanks

Edit: Also throw in 60D, I see its 45K with 18-55 on flipkart

Last edited:
I recommend used DSLR for first timers. It is not an easy life, and disappointments are many. Used gear is cheap to acquire, and doesn't devalue as fast as new stuff, so if you want to move on, you are not financially devastated as well.
A used 50D should be adequate, unless you're interested in video. After a week, if you find yourself eager to pick up the 50D and 18-135 every time you feel like clicking, I would say you are ready for the heavy investment, no pun intended.

He is in Taiwan.

OP, you can explore the local flea markets for a used piece, and give it a try. If it seems addictive, come back here for a discussion/ debate for what can be a choice of new APS-C body for starters, with a couple of lenses based on the usage you will perceive. Later, you can consider full frame units as well.

Source: I use a 5D Mark II right now, upgraded from a 550 D which was upgraded from a SX200 & S45.

My first DSLR was a old used 350d which i bought in 2008 , it was more than 50k clicks old when i bought that ( i dint know how to check it or any thing about dslrs that time ) i bought it for 12K and bought a 18 55 IS lens for 3.5K that was a new one separated from 450D kit . I never thought that it it will run for more than two years but its still working fine my brother is using it now and it still makes very good pics, the click count may be more than a 1.5 lack now but its still going on no replacement or service except a battery change and once a sensor cleaning . Try a local market search you may get a good bodies like Canon 40D which has pro features for just 15K , even 550 d may be available for less than 20k. try these bodies for some time try to find which type of photography you are interested , is it landscape , macro ,people ets . once you found your interest try to buy the best lens you can afford for that , for example if you are interested in macros you can start with a cheep tamron 90mm and as your skills increase after some time replace it with a 180mm macro or specialized macro lenses .

Back