Camera DSLR for a newbie

I own a point and shoot camera of sony. I have a keen interest in photography but my point and shoot doesnt do much. I also visit places every year, like 2-3 family trips. I want to learn photography using a dslr because i simply love the picture quality and the things we can do manually.

So, suggest me a dslr camera with lens kit, which should be perfect for me. Also let me know about lenses, i know nothing about lenses at all. Budget is no compulsion for the camera and lens.

Please dont suggest semi dslr types, i want a complete dslr.

For 30k budget I would recommend a D5100/D3200. These would come with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Get a fast 30MBps card ..Sandisk Class 10 etc.

Additional since you like to travel I would suggest getting a proper camera bag from Lowepro and a simple Tripod.

Make sure you try each camera hands on for atleast a good 30-40 mins before making the final call.

Would you like to know more ?

What kind of photography are you looking for? If only looking towards family pics then better pick a better PNS as DSLR are not very handy when it comes to shooting people who are posing.

Do you intent to learn photography?

Brand preference?
Canon/Nikon

Budget? (Ok, you need to give a value here. DSLR range from 20K to Lakhs.)

What kind of photography are you looking for? If only looking towards family pics then better pick a better PNS as DSLR are not very handy when it comes to shooting people who are posing.

Do you intent to learn photography?

Brand preference?
Canon/Nikon

Budget? (Ok, you need to give a value here. DSLR range from 20K to Lakhs.)

My purpose is shooting landscapes and macro shooting, as well as jewellery photography for my dad's business. Lastly i will shoot family pics as well.

Yes, i am completely new to slr photography, so i need to learn that. i hope its not that difficult and i will learn it with time doing experiments with the cam (i guess).

my budget is maximum 45-50k

Please also let me know the lens thing, i am unable to get what those mm means.

I would suggest picking up Nikon D7000. It is very good for its price, and it would serve you well.

Also, DSLR = Body(D7000) + Lens(18-55mm). The 18-55 mm is a very basic lens, and it would serve the purpose too much. But its a great learner and you would probably have to start with that.

Read a lot about below before you take the plunge and get a camera:-
DSLR Body
DSLR Lenses

I think a D5200 would accomplish those on a lesser budget ~ 40k with a kit lens (Ebay)

The IQ is slightly better than the D7000 and much more newbie friendly.

Yes it comes with a AF-S 18-55 mm VR Kit Lens.

You can get it cheaper here .. http://www.ebay.in/itm/NIKON-D5200-...ras&hash=item2c72475618&_uhb=1#ht_9045wt_1163

for 40k. Same stuff.

I have the D5200 and the absence of auto focus motor hurts. I am quite sure you would NOT be able to learn the manual focus so fast hence I am suggesting the D7000.

Save a little bit and hold on to your horses as D7000 would come around 50K with kit lens.

I would suggest against Sony camera's due to the lack of lenses.

Last edited:
You can go with a A58 its a bargain camera.It has built in AF motor and also built in stabilization ,so even your cheap prime and macro lens or even old other make lenses gets stabilized.
It also has much bigger viewfinder then competing cameras.

But if you can afford the D5200 you can go with that to.

@xtremevicky
Tell me what are the lenses lacking in Sony,the entire range of Sony lenses are available in India +Tamron +Sigma and used Minolta lenses.

@adder

I am quite sure the range of lenses aviable for a canon or Nikon are very vast compared to Sony. I am not saying getting a sony camera is bad or something. But many friends of mine which have got A57 are now switching over to D7000/7100.

Just my point of view :)

What will be the difference in image quality if i buy d3200, d5200 and d7000? Also what is the difference in features?

secondly, i think i can manage, though it will take time, but i can manage with manual focus. Please can i get the highlight differences between the three shortlisted cams?

What will be the difference in image quality if i buy d3200, d5200 and d7000?
You will get the same Image Quality .. the D5200/D3200 have a newer image sensor actually.[DOUBLEPOST=1378893366][/DOUBLEPOST]The D7000 is a mid segment DSLR .. Its got many extra on body controls + weatherproofing + Focus Motor + better AF system buts almost 10k more than the

D5200 has got everything the D3200 has along with an swivel LCD and a better AF system

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3200-vs-Nikon-D5200

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5200-vs-Nikon_D7000

I would suggest the D5200 kit at 40k if your budget it upto that much.

And do try a hands on before buying.

Last edited:
because of my tight budget and being a complete newbie, i want to stick to either d3200 or d5200. Can anyone put some light on the lens question? I am unable to get that number/mm thing. I mean what does those digits means and what does they signify? Do those numbers have any relation with the type of shoots we are interested in or they r related to quality of image? Why that 18-55mm lens is soo common and popular? Whats its speciality?

Back