Camera DSLR for videos/documentary and photography

gaganjain

Adept
My friend want to buy camera for videos/documentary and photography
So i suggest him canon 550d for it..has he need full hd video shooting
What are your suggestion on this?
Another option is to go nikon d5000 ?
Open for other suggestion too...

the new nikon D3100,D7000 have contrast detect auto focus,which is better then the piss poor 550d focus.But if he makes do with manual focus its a good option.

The Sony SLT and NEX VG-10 with a 18-200mm better suited for video with good optical system and optimized for contrast detect auto focus.
Panasonic GH2 is also a good option.
Sadly none have been launched in india
I believe photography is secondary.

I was also thinking of new nikon 3100 but don't know when it will go on sale in India. He need to buy in mid oct.

I forgot mention budget is around 40-45k.

what will be the price canon 550d ? jjm list it for 44k with 18-55mm lens

For video, consider sony slt or nex range. Few panny models also offer a.f. during movie though not sure of models.

I am not sure but current reduction in canon prices suggest that nikon d3100 might be launched pretty soon next month.

sony slt or nex range will take time to launch in india.
Will see if nikon get d3100 in shop by oct mid...
Anyone know when will nikon d3100 will be launched here...

vb86 said:
Nothing new with DSLR that have video recording.
For some reason the dedicated camcorder like the NEX VG10 can however record videos for much longer time,despite have a APS-C size sensor and have far better controls and can take DSLR quality still photos.One can use various lenses from canon /nikon,tamron/sigma,samyung and sony/minolta lens from el cheapo adaptors .since it has a EVF its makes it easy to manual focus and sony own A-Mount SAM lenses will have auto focus capabilty by november via firmware update .Its howver costs double is budget but has the least amount of rolling shutter.
One more video here http://jorgeblanco.smugmug.com/Other/Video/13438072_NXHGu#1018322475_eCbY8-A-LB shows the incredible sound capability.
nexvg101s.jpg

nexvg108s.jpg

with 16mm lens
nexvg104s.jpg

with 18-200mm lens equivalent to 11x optical zoom
nexvg106s.jpg

with Zeiss lens
nexvg107s.jpg

A nex5 is also within is budget it lenses are suited for contrast detect auto focus.

NEX5 vs NEX camcorder
Otherwise he can get a consumer camcorder.

DId you check the NEX-5 vs NEX v10 video in the above link.Its looks almost as good as the NEX VG10,minus the viewfinder and the dedicated video controls.
Once again much better then nikon video capabilities

The NEX-VG10 costs $2000 with 18-200mm lens,the lens alone costs $800.So the camera is $1300,which i guess is still out of his budget.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

camcoderinfo says that in interms of color accuracy and noise,low light performance and sharpness in video,sony is better then canon and nikon is in last place.

Back