Dual citizenship in India

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
AFAIK, there's no dual citizenship in India. My passport status is somewhat complicated. We live in Czech Republic, but my wife is from Slovakia (a small adjacent country) and my passport was issued by government of Slovakia.
I own a small apartment in India but have no legal proof of Indian citizenship ( the passport has expired, lost voter's ID, Aadhar ID). The only thing I have is a PAN card (it doesn't have any address in it and not paid any tax from 2015 and probably don't have any document of previous years' return) Last time I went to India, spoke to some people and realised that I need something called an OCI and it seemed a very complicated process.
It requires something called "Naturalization Certificate" and I'm supposed to submit documents to "VFS Global".
https://visa.vfsglobal.com/ind/en/cze/
I have booked an appointment with them but still confused about the Naturalization Certificate thing ( have the other documents like the expired Indian passport, MD/ PhD certificates etc. from Indian universities)
Anybody here gone through the process? Think I have to pay some penalty for not submitting the Indian passport earlier (but didn't know it was mandatory)
Is marriage certificate can be considered as naturalization certificate?
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
mate, you made things complicated.. It would have been easier when you relinquish your Indian Citizenship immediately apply for OCI card normally dealing with Indian Consulate is bit of headache here or in abroad.

Yes you need to submit to VFS global who handles the request and also need to surrender your passport for which you need to fill separate application form. They will return the passport back after stamping cancelled. I'm not sure your Educational documents will be verified for Photo ID proof (like Tenth Class), Date of birth certifiate with your parents details. There is a call centre number who might be clarify.

I'm sending the checklist from Australia one but you can check your local country. They have a checklist of documents and take your Aadhar ID also.

So you need to apply for OCI card and also surrender of passport. If it is expired not sure about it but check with vfs global and carry all the documents also photo as mentioned by them.

As a NRI you own property so that is not an issue except agricultural land.

I will go through my old documents but for me i have valid documents left but if you need more information pm me . we can talk over phone. cheers.

Thanks, yes, things got complicated. I was supposed to come back after 6 months or so, but life happened...and nobody here told me anything about OCI in all these years.
In fact the Slovak authority didn't even insist on my previous passport. All I needed was a marriage certificate, wife's passport, my university certificates and a letter from the organisation I work for.
And the situation was little difficult back then, never thought of returning back to India at that point.
I'm supposed to meet up with VFS officials coming Tuesday. And it looks like the fine for non submission of Indian passport is pretty steep.
Anyway found another 2 Indians in my situation in Prague..let's see how it goes.

Yes, I know, but I don't have the old indian phone number for OTP.
Anyway I need 2 documents beside passport and have them ( PAN card and Registration certificate from West Bengal Medical Council)
Spoke to somebody over phone from VFS Global.
Even the penalty is not much (less than 100 EUR per year, till the Indian passport expiry) as I got the citizenship on the basis of a legal marriage to a citizen ( there are some complicated rules related to work/ profession which thankfully won't have to go through)
Hopefully will be able to complete the paperwork submission on Monday.
Honestly didn't know that I am supposed to surrender the Indian passport after receiving the Slovak one.

Last edited:
Local aadhar update center here!? Can't go to India again for Aadhar mate. Won't be leaving Europe at least for 1.5-2 years..

Yes, I know, but I don't have the old indian phone number for OTP.
Voter id isn't linked to your phone or aadhar. You don't need OTP. Anyone can download anyone's voter id. Only problem is that, it's a bit tricky.

Now about your aadhar, It used to be possible to change phone number online very easily. You should have had it changed. Nowadays you have go to an aadhar center. For someone who is outside India, I'm not saying it's impossible but it may involve paying extra to a local private aadhar center who would change it based on OTP to your old number. So it's also presuming the guy who owns your old number now is willing to cooperate.

Back