Dual Core E5400 & other parts - help

multi

Adept
Questions

Q: What is your budget?
not decided but smaller better
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel dual core E5400

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - intel only
Motherboard - Gigabyte prefered
GPU - in future ( right now on board will do
(please mention the rest in above format)
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
city or online
Open to online purchase
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
HTPC
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies
Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Do not want to buy Asus product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic , yes that true .
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
right now not much into game but keeping in mind for future need
Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming -
Desktop -
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit
Linux - Fedora /ubuntu

so should I keep this dual core & upgrade with some shoe string OR

sell it & have some options for H67 boards (core i 3 /i 5 in future ) for future upgrades .

^ well right now I have only CPU & 15 inch CRT

Current CPU - Dual core E 5400

Monitor - 15 inch CRT ( want to go into LCD

approx range 15000/- might increase if suggested . Right now goal is for without LCD .

Core i3 2100 ~ 5500/-

MSI H67MA-E35 ~ 4900/-

Corsair 1333 MHz 4GB x 1 ~ 1900/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~ 1900/-

Cooler Master eLite 310 ~ 1500

Corsair CX 400 ~ 2500/- (you'll need this if you plan to upgrade to a decent card later)

Samsung / LG DVD drive OEM piece ~ 950/-

Hope this suits your needs, it will end up skirting ~ 20000/- with taxes but worth the money, or wait for another month AMD Llano and Zambezi's are being released so a price drop is projected on either sides making the pill easier to swallow.

ALPHA17 suggest a very good config

if u build around E5400 then buy GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2P ~2400 and later in future u want upgrade then sell mobo+cpu,add 2 GB DDR3 stick.

Kingston/Corsair 1333MHz 2GB ~ 1000

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~ 1900

Cooler Master eLite 310 ~ 1500

Gigabyte superb 460/FSP saga II 400W ~2000/1900

Samsung / LG DVD drive OEM piece ~ 950

Sapphire HD6670 GDDR5 1GB ~5550

Total ~15300

^^ I think in OP's case it is better if he starts from scratch and builds a brand new RIG than building on the aged Dual-Core E 5400, simply because that platform is dead.

its good idea to start from scratch but considering 15k budget e5400 would serve the OP purpose and he has to invest only 2400 for mobo. if he wants future upgrade RAM can be reused by selling mobo+cpu.

^^ For office work a Phenom IIx4 is over-kill @stock settings both the Phenom IIx4 and Core i3 2100 perform same, but the Intel chip takes in lot less power plus AM3 socket is EoL in one more month so no sense in OP going that way.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=88

vip said:
its good idea to start from scratch but considering 15k budget e5400 would serve the OP purpose and he has to invest only 2400 for mobo. if he wants future upgrade RAM can be reused by selling mobo+cpu.
He won't even get a third of this investment back, no use spending 2400/- using for six months and then express change, better upgrades to new standards from this RIG.

^^

dude if its for office work and gaming i suggest him to go with 955be coz of its extra 2 physical cores

i3 2100 will surely give him benefit in gaming but quad core will benefit him in other processing linke video encoding etc.

^^ Do check out the benchmarks on Anandtech, the Intel Sandy-Bridge architecture demolishes the aging AMD K-10 architecture handily, plus under load and idle power consumption of the Core i3 is also a lot leaner. AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Back