PC Peripherals Dual Rail Power Supply: 19A + 17A < 30A?

techboy

Adept
Hi

I have Antec SP500 with dual rails. Is it possible to connect the 19A and 17A rails to make them 36A? How else can I confortably run my RAQdeon X1900XTX on it? Do power supplies exist in the market which have >30A on a single +12va line?

No its not possible. XTX requires minimum combined of 30A. I don't think a smartpower can supply that. SP500 has a max combined output of 25A on 12V.

You dont need 30Amps on single rail to power x1900xt.

And no you cant just go on adding rails like that.

The 30Amps recommended by ATI is taking into consideration entire system.

Extremely vmoded and overclocked X1900XTX barely consume 20-21amps under full load.

normal non overclocked X1900XTX is way below that.

What PSU you are using now??

And what you plan to get.

X1900XTX will run flawlessly on NeoHE 300, skyhawk/zebronics 540 and 640 watt models.

There are the only 2 PSUs i will recommend at this point of time.

Antec SP500 has 19A on one +12va line. I am currently using this power supply. Antec NeoHE 500 only has 17A on each +12va line, which is less than that of the Antec SP500. Is 19A enough for a Radeon 1900XTX at stock, somebody said that it was a min of 22A. Should I go back to my Antec SL450 which is single railed but has 25A on +12va line?

@techboy - when every1 was telling u to buy neohe tp2 skyhawk then y were u not listening & saying sp500 rox n all. now suddenly asking bout sp500.

every1 adviced u b4 not to get a sp500. although it is enough for a x1900xtx, but u still should have got something better.

One thing which you are not telling me is, Antec SP500 has more Amperes and watts than I need, as for As on +12va line, it is higher than NeoHE 500(17A), while Antec SP500 has 19A and 17A, what is wrong with my power supply then?

Does skyhawk have more than 19A on +12va line?

You moron don't you know arithmetic? NeoHE has 3 12V rails and ur stupid smartpower has 2. Also ur smartpower can supply only 300W max out of the 12V rails at 25 degrees which means 25A. NeoHE can supply 456W out of 12V at 50 degrees which means 38A. Makes sense? I don't think so since you don't have a brain. What funky meant was 22A only for the card which can happen in rare situations when massively overclocked. Generally it'll eat around 15A out of 12V. I don't think ur smartpower can supply that sustained for a long time.

But how does it matter whether there are 2 rails or 3. 1900xtx will take power only from one rail, so the power on a single rail is all that counts for the radeon 1900xtx, the other rails are only for the rest of the hardware for which 17A may be enough, so does antec sp500 lack even on the 19A rail?

techboy said:
But how does it matter whether there are 2 rails or 3. 1900xtx will take power only from one rail, so the power on a single rail is all that counts for the radeon 1900xtx, the other rails are only for the rest of the hardware for which 17A may be enough, so does antec sp500 lack even on the 19A rail?

It matters because PSU designers are not as brain dead as you are :p. The first 19A rail of the sp500 is for the CPU. Everything else feeds from the other 17A rail which means ur card is sharing 17A with ur hard drives/optical drives etc. That too its rated at 25 degrees so at the 40 degree temperatures in delhi, it'll max supply 15A. The NeoHE on the other hand can be set such that one 17A rail is completely dedicated to the GPU if you put the connectors properly and all other peripherals will be fed off the 3rd rail. Also unless you are living in a desert, the NeoHE will probably supply more than 17A.... in fact in one of the reviews they found it doesn't cut off until you load the rail right upto 30A. Now that u've bought the smartpower against everyone's advice, you can only do one thing... suffer the consequences :p.

I think techboy didnt realize till now that NeoHE has 3 Rails...:eek:hyeah:

@techboy: you cannot simply addup the two rails ratings and say that SP500 has 17+19 = 36A. If you do that with NeoHE 500 it would be a whooping 17 x 3 = 51A. The ratings are peak load each rail can take. But in reality the max NeoHE can give is given as 456W continous at 50deg which comes to 38A. SP500 on the other hand gives only between 25 and 30A only that too rated at 25deg which means that as chaos mentioned, it will be even lower at 40deg temp.

Would advice you that next time when you ask people for advice, you take care to follow it too.:)

why do need a 1900xtx so badly techboy..u dont seem to be an avid gamer or anything..but still u have trouble with everything now..i feel sorry for u .. u should have got the skyhawk when ppl told u ... now u got to get ur self a NEOhe..Like i said in the other thread LISTEN!

ITDepot is not newegg. You cannot return back a completely working product and get someting else. since you have already opened the packing and already using the PSU, chances are grim that you will be able to return it back to them. Even if they agree to take it back (Which is unlikely) you will have to pay more than the price difference between the two.

better thing to do for you is to sell off the SP 500 to someone for a few bucks less and get yourself the NeoHE.

Back