Dual Wan with Asus RT-N16

Tron05

Adept
Hi,
I have a Asus RT-N16 wifi router and Hathway net connection, whenever there is a cable cut, i face days of outage. To cover this, i was thinking of utilising a backup net connection. I have 2 options,
1. i already have an existing reliance broadband connection with a separate wifi router lying around. Issue is their minimum is Rs110 for 200MB data.
2. Am thinking of getting a 3G data card and connect it to my Asus router.

Cost and flexibility wise, i think getting a data card would be better, but is it possible to connect and configure a data card to wifi router and make it switch over to datacard, if the main connection doesn't work??

Note: My Wifi router runs on Tomato

^i think tomato(shibby's) firmware doesnt support dual wan... There is something called dualwan tomato, chinese based one and that should work for RT16

Yea shibby one doesn't support dual wan. Head over To tomatousb site and search for toastmans release.
Afaik combined mod is also there.

Yea toashibby one doesn't suppo forrt dual wan. Head over To tomatousb site and search for toastmans release.
Afaik combined mod is also there.

I do have toasman release already installed.... Can you guide me to the setup screen? i have been through most options... maybe i missed something..

Any specific reason you are running Tomato, If I recollect correctly the original firmware has that functionality like if the main connection goes out it will failover to 3G!

Any specific reason you are running Tomato, If I recollect correctly the original firmware has that functionality like if the main connection goes out it will failover to 3G!

Yea... was getting terrible speed over wifi with the stock Asus firmware in n mode... Also wanted to use a auto login script for my internet connection... BTW, i liked Asus's user friendly interface.

Ahh.. so i need to get back to Asus now? Are you sure failover is supported on Asus firmware? maybe i will get a data card and try on Tomato first and then change..

Back