Duke Nukem Forever - Discussion thread

Oh and like Deus Ex is any good. The graphics are horrible. From what little I have played, its a very average affair.

Yeah, if that is true, I'll reach to that conclusion soon enough. It's the hype around these games.

Blowjob in a demo wont get me playing.

(PS- I want the real stuff)

Wait wait the build of deus ex that is out on the nets is very early build you cant conclude about the game from that build wait for the full game before judging it also the demo of duke nukem is fully done and from what i heard is pretty darn shitty the graphincs look dated,regen health and only 2 weapons can be carried at a sametime

I played the Duke Nukem Forever Demo, and following are my impressions:

1) Yes, the graphics is pretty dated, but not a deal-breaker. If you were expecting next-gen graphic then you're mistaken. The game is delayed by 13 years, for crying out loud... on that scale, the graphic are pretty adequate for the game. Also, call it a weird co-incidence or deja vu, but the original Duke Nukem was also quite behind in graphics department compared to other titles of it's time (iD software games). But graphics were never high point for Duke.

2) The first level is exactly what you've seen in gameplay demo videos so far. You start the level by standing in bathroom, taking a piss. From there you just run around in the building, meet few soldiers in the room, scribble crap on whiteboard. From there you run around some more, find a devastator in another room and go up on the football field where a giant one-eyed monster is shooting rockets at you, sending shockwave balls of electricity at you and even propelling itself towards you. You use the devastator to keep shooting at it while dodging it's attacks. You get plenty of ammo airdrops to refill and in the end you kill the monster by climbing on it and pulling of some pipes. The fights ends with you field-kicking it's eye across the field. The level end with famous cut-scene of two twins in schoolgirl outfit and you (as a duke) playing this whole thing as a game. You know the rest of the details. ;)

3) I have just played two levels so far. It seems there are only two levels, but since I haven't completed the second level yet (I kept dying :ashamed:). But so far it seems the usual Duke/FPS fare. The second level gives you more choices of weapons, but yeah, you can carry only two at a time. You get Railgun, Shotgun, Shrink-ray gun and Reaper. Shrink-ray gun is awesomely fun (shrink your enemies and step on them to crush them and watch the gore spreading on the floor). The railgun is very much like Quake3 (minus the spiral shockwaves). The Reaper is machine gun with multiple barrels in parallel. The shotgun is, well shotgun. This level starts with you in the DukeBuggy driving across the terrain, avoiding air-attacks, rolling giant rocks and killing the alien pigs with your buggy. After the big jump across the valley, you stop because your fuel ran out. From there you advance to alien out-post killing everyone in your path. You can also use their grounded machine guns against the incoming hordes of air-dropped pigs.

So far that's all I've played, but my initial impressions are quite good. Yes, the game has it's flaws but it's still a lot of fun. I'm going to go ahead and pre-order my copy now. Haters be damned. :bleh:

This is just like Serious Sam titles; you either like it, love it or hate it. BUT, you can't ignore it. :p

I guess their (developers) primary focus was to provide a cheesy gameplay experience, rather than concentrating on the graphics. For the price at which it's selling in India, I guess it wouldn't be that bad a deal. ;)

Gameplay Impressions:

Loved it. It might not have the cutting edge graphics but what it lacks in that department it more than makes up for it in the fun department. The gameplay is very old school but that is a good thing given the nostalgic element it brings to the game. The game is cheesy as hell but in a good way. If you are looking for a fun shooter this summer, look no further and pre order DNF. It might not win any awards but whatever this game has been through in the last 12 years, I say its not a bad effort.

P.S : The gfx are better than Deus Ex.

IMO no one should have any expectations from this title and I think Gearbox is pushing it out just for the fans and now that they have the title rights,the next Duke Nukem is what everyone should really look out for.

Haha, after reading the reviews and liveblog reviews, all I can say is, no way I'm wasting my bandwidth on this.

Even if I had been an enthusiast waiting for 15 years to pirate this, I wont.

Profanity can take a game only so far, if the gameplay is broken, well nothing much left.

15 years, after seeing the screens and reading the reviews, I wonder what they were doing the past 14 years and 10 months. Rightly put.

Of you can't buy this game (costs under 380 bucks) then you're just a mass pirate! Waiting formy pre order to arrive :)

Sent from my Motorola Defy.

comp@ddict said:
Haha, after reading the reviews and liveblog reviews, all I can say is, no way I'm wasting my bandwidth on this.

Even if I had been an enthusiast waiting for 15 years to pirate this, I wont.

Profanity can take a game only so far, if the gameplay is broken, well nothing much left.

15 years, after seeing the screens and reading the reviews, I wonder what they were doing the past 14 years and 10 months. Rightly put.
How can you even think of pirating a game which is so cheap? Isn't it more of a headache to download it. Bad bad. I have played many games like that too but now that games are available at Indian prices, it has been a really long time since I pirated a game.

baccilus said:
How can you even think of pirating a game which is so cheap? Isn't it more of a headache to download it. Bad bad. I have played many games like that too but now that games are available at Indian prices, it has been a really long time since I pirated a game.
*joke* That's why you have an HD 4670 whilst he has an HD 5850 ! *joke*

baccilus said:
I'm not downloading it. DIdn't you read this part?

no way I'm wasting my bandwidth on this.

comp@ddict said:
I'm not downloading it. DIdn't you read this part?
That's the sad part. You are judging the game based on someone else's review. A review means nothing until it is you that is playing the game, just saying..

The game is receiving average reviews, but then that was expected. But even according to the reviews, its not that bad. Definitely worth a try for the fans of Duke.

So far, its 76 on metacritic

All I can say is that after playing the demo, I immediately ordered my copy. Sure it's no Crysis or Gears of War, but I found it fun enough and definitely worth spending my 444 bucks. Hell, I would have bought it even if it was 800 bucks. 'Nuff said! :D

@Bluffmaster: Haha... was about to post this. IMO, the opening for that review pretty much sums up my thoughts....

PC Gamer Review said:
Is it worth the wait? Of course not, don’t be ridiculous. How could any game possibly be worth waiting 14 years for, especially one that only ever aspired to be a low-brow comedy first-person shooter? There’s no reinvention of the genre here, no real attempt at grandeur. More than anything, Duke just wants to party like it’s 1997.

Check unrealistic expectations at the door and forget the ancient, hyperbolic promises of self-deluded developers before you even consider buying this suddenly corporeal ghost of PC gaming history. The development-time-to-awesomeness ratio isn’t impressive. If you can do that, Duke Nukem Forever can at least mostly succeed in its aspiration. After all of its tumultuous history, it’s ended up as an entertaining FPS wrapped in juvenile, smut-laced humor. Its gameplay is a hybrid of old-school and new, and it won’t wow players with stunning visuals—its window of opportunity for that passed years ago—but it does put on a good show of alien ass-kicking by working what it’s got.

Back