DVD/Bluray Player

vb86

Adept
Hi guys!

So, my parents' DVD player conked off recently and they are demanding a new one! The one thing that they definitely require is a USB port to play video content off an HDD. It would help if the player can support the NTFS file system and play MKV files.

Also, the other option is to buy a Bluray player with a USB port which support the above mentioned requirements. Of course, if there aren't too many options available, they'll have to make do without MKV support.

Can you guys please recommend some models along with their prices for both DVD players and Bluray players available in India. It would be nice if the model is a little future-proof!

Thanks!

Well most models sold in india are 2010 models,just wait for month or so until the 2011 models arrive,most player of 2011 support MKV and NTFS this includes the the players from even Sony which are one of the cheapest.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Another option would be to buy a media player like asus O!play mini which costs less then 4k and plays most of the formats you can think of and get a cheap DVD player.

Thanks.

The current model available with Sony is some 370 model. I'm guessing that is a 2010 model? Can you please list some brands and particular models from the 2011 range that I should be looking at?

Yes the Sony 370 is a 2010 model.

There are many models in 2011 samsung has D5300 a base model that lacks 3d but has optinal wifi(via samsung usb dongle).

D5500 has 3d rest of the feature are the same as D5300 .

D5700 has built in wifi.

All have the capabilty to install samsung applications and play a various files including MKV and also support NTFS partition.

These models if launched in india should cost from around 9k to 13k.

The sony has the S380 which is similar to samsung D5300
" S480 = D5500
" S580= D5700

D780 has better image processing .The sony range should should cost around 9 to 15k.

Ok. So the Sony 380 player is finally available. Been trying to get some info over the phone from my grey dealer. He's saying that it will cost 7k. As far as the region is concerned, he wasn't sure, but I asked him to check on the box and apparently, there is a big letter A on the side of the box. I'm guessing that the bluray region is A. As far as the DVD region is concerned, he "claims" that all regions will work.

The Sony India has the player listed for 9k. No clue about the regions, but I'm guessing that the bluray region would be C. No idea about the DVD region either.

I need a player which can support MKV over usb and region free bluray+dvd would be even better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Why not get a media player (like the AC Ryan POHD) plus an external blu-ray drive which can be plugged to the player via USB? It would be a slightly expensive affair but I suppose this should solve your problem.

I am however not sure regarding the region-free playback of blu-ray discs. Where do you get the blu-ray discs from? Amazon?

vb86 said:
Ok. So the Sony 380 player is finally available. Been trying to get some info over the phone from my grey dealer. He's saying that it will cost 7k. As far as the region is concerned, he wasn't sure, but I asked him to check on the box and apparently, there is a big letter A on the side of the box. I'm guessing that the bluray region is A. As far as the DVD region is concerned, he "claims" that all regions will work.

The Sony India has the player listed for 9k. No clue about the regions, but I'm guessing that the bluray region would be C. No idea about the DVD region either.

I need a player which can support MKV over usb and region free bluray+dvd would be even better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Do note sony india gives 2 BD movies +HDMI cable and warranty.Ask the grey dealer whether you get freebies with it.As far as DVD region code it may be region free,if its not by default you will have to make it region free ,the method should be the same as BDP-370 which iirc one needs to press a sequence of buttons in the remote.

You could also go with Gannu's suggestion.

Some are saying that there is a onida blu ray player which is region free for both blu ray and dvd,might want to check it out,although not sure about the performance and build.

hey any update on this?
I already own Phillips HTS 3152....doesnt support MKV etc etc :ashamed::ashamed: !!
so looking for something which can work with it ro as a stand alone so i can use my speakers with it too..!! :eek:hyeah:
just hate converting files into Divx all the time to see it on my LCD :(
Any suggestions guys..... :)

vb86 said:
Hi guys!

So, my parents' DVD player conked off recently and they are demanding a new one! The one thing that they definitely require is a USB port to play video content off an HDD. It would help if the player can support the NTFS file system and play MKV files.

Also, the other option is to buy a Bluray player with a USB port which support the above mentioned requirements. Of course, if there aren't too many options available, they'll have to make do without MKV support.

Can you guys please recommend some models along with their prices for both DVD players and Bluray players available in India. It would be nice if the model is a little future-proof!

Thanks!

I got a Sony 3D Blu Ray Player BDP-S470 for sale. I got it with a Bravia Bundle. you can contact me at vkavas2@yahoo.com and 8800203473

vb86 said:
Hi guys!

Thanks!

I got a Sony 3D Blu Ray Player BDP-S470 for sale. I got it with a Bravia Bundle. you can contact me at vkavas2@yahoo.com and 8800203473

swapyworld said:
hey any update on this?

I already own Phillips HTS 3152....doesnt support MKV etc etc :ashamed::ashamed: !!

so looking for something which can work with it ro as a stand alone so i can use my speakers with it too..!! :eek:hyeah:

just hate converting files into Divx all the time to see it on my LCD :(

Any suggestions guys..... :)

This was EXACTLY what I was searching for too! Any advise guys?

Back