DVD or Blu-Ray Player required to play mkv files.

Hi All,

I had bought amongst the best 42" LED TV's LG had to offer in the mid of Year 2010. LG SL90.

My issue here is that the TV does not support playback of movies in mkv format and I get lotsa movies in mkv format.

There is no solution to upgrade the TV's firmware e.t.c if there is then I am unaware of it.

Hence I need to buy a player which support playing full HD movies through pendrive or portable 2.5" HDD via DVD Player or Blu-Ray Player.

Can anyone tell me which DVD-Bluray with USB supports mkv format? Most of the TV's today support mkv format.

Well most blu ray player out there support MKV files,if you are only going to play it from usb storage devices ,then its better to get a dedicated media player,they are more compact and consumes lesser power.

1] Blu-Ray players: Most that are available in India are NOT region-free. So many DVD's and BR discs may not play on them. Sherwood BDP-5004 is an excellent region free player. But this costs between 11-12.5K.

2] Go for any of the Western Digital Media Players - they are robust and play mkv format effortlessly [even if you attach an external 1TB Drive]. I have tested it with mkv files upto 12GB in size. These players also enable you to connect to your broadband connection [I have watched hindi movies from youtube seamlessly - of course not in HD]. WD also allows you to effortlessly upgrade the firmware - adding more widgets every now & then. You can also resume ANY movie/s day's/weeks later from the point that you had last stopped viewing.

3] Regarding your LG TV firmware upgrade. It may be possible. However, note that most LED/Plasma TV's cannot handle smooth playback of mkv files [after 25-30 mins of run time you will notice a delay in audio/video - sync].

I prefer Blu-Ray Region Free as well as mkv movies via usb, but 11k is a big budget, is no other other alternative like say philips dvd player which come for 2.5k? Is it able to play mkv properly? I have Avatar Full HD 1080p 20GB mkv movie with fantastic clarity, wanna play that and watch?

Guyz plz help.

shahbaaz_vision said:
I prefer Blu-Ray Region Free as well as mkv movies via usb, but 11k is a big budget, is no other other alternative like say philips dvd player which come for 2.5k? Is it able to play mkv properly? I have Avatar Full HD 1080p 20GB mkv movie with fantastic clarity, wanna play that and watch?

Guyz plz help.

2] Go for any of the Western Digital Media Players - they are robust and play mkv format effortlessly [even if you attach an external 1TB Drive].
^^ Did you read that :[
You can get a WD Media player for around Rs 6000

Western Digital WD TV Media Player [Review]

Regards

Hi Haimanshu, thanks for the inputs, I had seen that post. However I was wondering what can run the best?

1. Media Player MKV H264 HD 1080p Portable USB HDMI VGA

Media Player MKV H264 HD 1080p Portable USB HDMI VGA | eBay

or

2. Philips Combo DSP2500 Home Theater Speakers + Philips DVP3608 DVD Player USB

Philips Combo DSP2500 Home Theatre Speakers + Philips DVP3608 DVD Player USB | eBay

I am more interested in the Philips home theater as I can use the home theater also with my TV. ***Please suggest.***

#1 - This may work for u (I do not vouch for it). It's some China stuff

#2 - ARE U CRAZY !!
This is a DVD system (720 x 576) resolution. No way it can upscale a Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. Do not fall for "cheapo home theatre systems". Go for WD.... or else blow ur money on whatever suits ur fancy!!!!

Apologies for being harsh.

Get Amkette Flash TV HD , i got it week back for 3600 with free 4 gb pen drive and HDMI cable. and it plays every file including 1080p mkvs effortlessly.

Back