DVD player

caber

Disciple
I want to buy a DVD player that can play Xvid/DivX, has USB Support and preferably has a HDMI cable bundled.
Dont know about budget, the cheaper the better.

philips dvp-3996... it costs around rs3800 and comes with an hdmi cable these days. it upscales to 1080p via hdmi and has a usb 2.0 port. the only draw back is the lack of dts.

If you require dts, go for the dvp-5996. The other advantage with this is the karaoke function, if you really need it that is. this costs rs4600-4900. it also comes with an hdmi cable these days.

you can have a look at pioneer also.. they are extremely good but a little expensive. i have no idea about their models though.

I am using Philips DVP3166 for the past 2 years It has got most of the features you are looking for. It plays Divx/Xvid(SD) files and rest of the common media formats(MPEG-1,2, Audio-MP3,WAVE,WMA, Photo-JPEG). It has USB connectivity option too but it does not have HDMI/ DVD upscaling options. Cost me around Rs 3500 when i purchased.

Try in the Philips Lineup you will get the models with all your required functions.

(Update:I am bit late in my posting i guess, Follow the guide line of VB86)

Philips dvp-3996 seems like a good choice, just have a few questions on that:

If a file has only DTS audio, what will the player do?

Does the player read external subs and audio tracks? Files not embedded in the video itself.

And can this DVD player play all versions of Xvid?

caber said:
Philips dvp-3996 seems like a good choice, just have a few questions on that:
If a file has only DTS audio, what will the player do?
Does the player read external subs and audio tracks? Files not embedded in the video itself.

And can this DVD player play all versions of Xvid?

well it will pass on the signal via optical or coaxial digital out or even hdmi out to a external decoded such as a A/v reciever which then decodes the dts out.
well i am yet to see a movie that has only dts track but if it does have u want hear anything unless u have a external decoder connected.
i am not sure about external subs and audio track.

but if u want a player that can play dts and superior video quality compared to philips then check out the pioneer DV610

Hmmm can someone test the Philips dvp-3996 and Pioneer DV610 if they are capable of playing:

Xvid format [I hear the Xvid support in DVD players is kinda dodgy]

Can play external subs and audio files.

Also is there any DVD player right now that is capable of decoding x264 contained in MKV files?

caber said:
Hmmm can someone test the Philips dvp-3996 and Pioneer DV610 if they are capable of playing:

Also is there any DVD player right now that is capable of decoding x264 contained in MKV files?

well if u want to play all those formats why dont u get urself a WD hd player or a nvidia ion based pc,since they can play HD videos unlike the DVD player which can only upscale SD videos to HD but cannot play HD video.

I thought of that but primarily I want to replace my old DVD player....so playing optical disks comes first.

I guess I can always connect my computer to my TV if I want to see x264.

caber said:

I have the Pioneer 610 since the last 3 months, and it plays XviD , DivX files flawlessly via CD,DVD and Flash Drives. It also displays subtitles if the sub file is kept alongwith the video file in the same folder.

The player totally rocks for movies and the good thing is, it supports DTS output via analog RCA cables. Although a bit expensive than the Philips, it's totally worth the extra bucks.:hap2:

caber said:
@metalbandit: Thanks a lot for giving me the info! I'll buy the Pioneer 610

You won't go wrong with this one. I have just a 29" CRT, and I am sure it will go still better with an LCD or Plasma with upscaling via HDMI. I have connected mine using a component Video Cable, and the picture quality is stunning, especially for fast moving scenes.

riturajnitk said:
hello all,
i am looking for a dvd player.. budget :5k

please provide me some options..
thanks

Can you specify some details?

Retail with Bill and Warranty, or Grey?
Upscaling required or not? (This will be required for an LCD/Plasma and not for a normal CRT)

Pio 610 is best budget player which comes without HDMI cable.
Lg DV388 comes with HDMI cable.
Philips are good ,but not reliable as Pio.

Back