Storage Solutions dvd rw for old pc

nuclearvipul

Disciple
i have amd athlon fsb(200/266)1.54 ghz,512 mb ram.
currently i just have cd rom installed ,will a dvd writer work fine on my system?
if yes, plz tell which one to buy and it's approximate price.if not plz tell some dvd rom or combo drive that can work fine on my system.
plz reply fast as i have to buy on friday.

an IDE dvd writer costs about the same as a combo drive(~1.25k). even if it has problems writing DVD's in this system, you can use it on another system when you upgrade :D

Remember to get an 80 conductor IDE cable for it . 40 wont do

If you're planning to use this system for a lot more time , would recommend you upgrade to 1GB ram(~1k) . it helps with dvd reading/writing as well :)

thanx greenhorn for an early reply.

will the dvd writer be atleast able to read dvd's without any issues bcoz i would be upgrading to a laptop so future usage not that important.

also plz tell abt the wire/cable thing in detail. wat abt LG GSA-H55NK ,is it a good dvd rw?

Yes, as greenhorn explained increasing the ram will help you in reading/writing. However, if you are looking the system as reading disks perspective, even 512 MB wouldn't be any less.

Recommended one Samsung & Liteon

:)I was using my sony dru 810A with a P3 system with 192 mb of ram. So I guess any dvd writer(IDE ) will do.

Only thing is it might take a bit more time to write which I guess is okay.

Back