PC Peripherals dvd writer issues!!!!

I tried copying/writing a few dvds on my sony dru 810a .. the thing is after the writing is complete if inser the dvd back into the drive it shows it as an emplty cd....wtf????? but when i insert it in my dvd rom it wrks fine.... It shows as a blank even on my frnds dvd writer... im using those cheapo grafica dvds.. the thing is my frnd has the same drive and he can write and read the same brand without any such problems.... and his writed dvds plays perfectly on my drive..... wats the problem???? in this??? fault with the drive or media??? plzz help!!!!:(

Try this: Right-click on the DVD writer, go to properties and disable windows CD burning, then reload the disc. This has worked sometimes for me.

i just checked the site and theres no certain firmware upgrade for the 810a only for 800a & ul...... is there somewhere else i can download it frm plzz help. this problem is really irritating :p

Check at club.cdfreaks.com. Register there and go to the Sony Burner section and u will find lotsa info there. In my and Eazy's opinion, that site is the best for all ODD discussions and solutions. And yes, crossflashing to the BenQ F/W is the best thing to do.

What say, Eazy ?

Freaky said:
What say, Eazy ?

If it was my Sony writer I would definately do it but I hesitate to give this advise to other people as there is always a risk involved in cross flashing. Of course if you do run into a problem with a bad flash there is a way out - details of which can be seen at CDFreaks forums.

People at CDFreaks are now cross flashing their BENQ 1640's to BENQ EW164B which is an External DVD writer. The advantage of the external unit is that it is a UDMA 4 drive as against UDMA 2 of the BENQ 1640. When the drive is cross flashed to the external drive it is not necessary to have it working only in an external USB case :) It works like a regular internal drive too.

Eazy said:
If it was my Sony writer I would definately do it but I hesitate to give this advise to other people as there is always a risk involved in cross flashing. Of course if you do run into a problem with a bad flash there is a way out - details of which can be seen at CDFreaks forums.

See my siggy, pal. 1673 @ 1693 - meaning its crossflashed. But I do agree that CF might be risky but with so many tools to recover a bad flash, there's nothing wrong in trying.

Freaky said:
See my siggy, pal. 1673 @ 1693 - meaning its crossflashed. But I do agree that CF might be risky but with so many tools to recover a bad flash, there's nothing wrong in trying.
Umm, not exactly a crossflash cause thier basically the same drive, its somewhat like flashing a DW1620 to DW1640...

A crossflash would be flashing to a completely different drive altogether...

Anish said:
Umm, not exactly a crossflash cause thier basically the same drive, its somewhat like flashing a DW1620 to DW1640...

Well, then why does every Firmware site call this crossflashing ? Everyone knows that the Sony 810A is only an OEM 1640. So when u flash it to the BenQ F/W, what do u call it ? CF or not.

And the above statements may sound kinda sly but am not being so. Just curious pal.

Anish said:

1620 and 1640 are different drives altogether. You can'tcrossflash!
Freaky, it is crossflashing, you're right. The 1673/1693, 401/411/811..all those conversions were technically crossflashes.

^^ Er, sorry about that, I meant 1600 -> 1620...

Well then flashing any drive with a firmware of another drive will be a CF then...

Anish said:
^^ Er, sorry about that, I meant 1600 -> 1620...

Well then flashing any drive with a firmware of another drive will be a CF then...
Provided that the Chipset inside is the same, I assume.

Back