Graphic Cards DVI to Composite (PC to CRT TV)

amul_capri

Disciple
Have a 7900GS with DVI output.
Have a Philips 29" CTR TV with Component (29PT7325).

Since the TV supports 1080i, I was wondering what kind of resolution would I get on this (if i conected it with a DVI to Composite adapter cable).

Would it be good enough for gaming? (The Xbox 360 does it, doesn't it).

Any help greatly appreciated.

delhiboy1000 said:
@Amul : the DVI-to-Component cable wont work.
If your card has a HDTV-out, only then u can connect it to your tv.

True. I recently purchases a VGA to component connector cable and a DVI to component connector cable. I paid quite a bit for both. Unfortunately, neither work. It seems that the o/p from the VGA out of a laptop or the VGA/DVI of your gfx card is sRGB.

The VGA/DVI to component cables need to used only when the source is a component source, i.e. some kind of HDTV source that can output component on a VGA/DVI connector.

Also, the VGA/DVI to composite/S-video adapters don't work without a scan convertor. These scan convertors can cost close to $500.(I purchased this damn thing also.)

:(
But guess I was lucky enuf, not to order the cables before posting.
I thought I could hook the PC to the HD TV, get a Xbox windows controller, and get rid of the Xbox 360 buying itch Im carrying along with me for the past few weeks!

@Sydras : And thanks for sharing. So i guess it doesn't make a difference even if i buy a card with hdmi out (TV has only composite ins)

amul_capri said:
@Sydras : And thanks for sharing. So i guess it doesn't make a difference even if i buy a card with hdmi out (TV has only composite ins)

This case would be different. If I'm not mistaken, you would need an HDMI to DVI adapter. But I've no idea if the HDMI o/p works with component or composite.

Back