Graphic Cards DX 10.1 out , not compatible with DX 10

greenhorn

Patron
DX10 hardware - such as the GeForce 8800 or the Radeon 2900 - won't work with the new 10.1 features. The 0.1 revision requires completely new hardware for support, thus royally cheesing off many gamers who paid top whack for their new hardware over the last few months on the basis of future game compatibility.

Vole shoots foot with 10.1 upgrade

congrats all the 8800 and 2900 owners :bleh:

well the 9800 will be out in november . wait for it then folks :D

PS: i think the inq might be a bit misleading. I think dx 10.1 games should scale backwards. just like most old DX 9 games ran on DX 8 and 7 hardware. But then again, you'll never knw what microsoft will do next :(

Well, It will not be an outright incompatibility between 10 and 10.1. 10.1 will add some new things which will not be available on the DX10 cards. All the remaining features should work fine.

I Dnt see Game developers , Nvidia and ATi letting this happen...MS will lose everything and everybody if this is true.

Lord Nemesis said:
Well, It will not be an outright incompatibility between 10 and 10.1. 10.1 will add some new things which will not be available on the DX10 cards. All the remaining features should work fine.

I hope its true :(

RTA guys. it says

DX10 hardware - such as the GeForce 8800 or the Radeon 2900 - won't work with the new 10.1 features. The 0.1 revision requires completely new hardware for support

so, the 0.1 requires newer h/w.

im glad i dint get the 8800 for now and settled for 8600gt. but i think the 8800 owners should not be upset. something will workout for them for sure. u cant charge ppl 700$ and then say oh sorry it wont work it newer games cuz we cant be bothered. only time will tell whats on and whats not.

I think I'd like to see Chaos's comments - from what I see, 10.1 doesn't seem to be a whole new spec rather than a revision which forces certain things which might allow a faster path... and seems more relevant to GPGPU.

What DX10.1 offers is what a few things the DX10 spec missed out... It finally supports double precision in IEEE format allowing more scientific apps to work for general purpose computing. Until now only support of 32bit float existed. I don't expect any game devs to actually use 64bit floating point as 32bit itself is really slow :p. So from gamer's perspective its no great shakes.

The other thing which made a lot of noise at Siggraph was the programmable tesselator. I'm not sure if this is DX10.1 or DX11 but its one cool thing to have. Its really useful for apps that what to do procedural geometry generation which means geometry detail will be a lot higher than in existing apps.

Chaos said:
What DX10.1 offers is what a few things the DX10 spec missed out... It finally supports double precision in IEEE format allowing more scientific apps to work for general purpose computing. Until now only support of 32bit float existed. I don't expect any game devs to actually use 64bit floating point as 32bit itself is really slow :p. So from gamer's perspective its no great shakes.

The other thing which made a lot of noise at Siggraph was the programmable tesselator. I'm not sure if this is DX10.1 or DX11 but its one cool thing to have. Its really useful for apps that what to do procedural geometry generation which means geometry detail will be a lot higher than in existing apps.

Hands up to all who didnt understand this !!

@Chaos --- Could you please speak English for the rest of us normal folks :p ??

Back