Graphic Cards Dying PC - Need GPU to extend life

raj_pol

Skilled
Hi All,

I am using an almost 7 year old system with most of the primary components being from around 2007. Now there is no problem with my system except with the GPU.

The GPU fan is dead (it is a sapphire 8600gt). hence the GPU reaches temperatures of 130C and keeps slowing down or freezing while playing movies etc.

For personal reasons I do not want to overhaul the entire system and hence was thinking of a R7 250 to tide me over and basically extend the lifeline of my PC :D.

Would love to hear from the members if this sounds feasible or there are other better choices.

Raj

You shouldn't be using the GPU at all with a dead fan - it's there for a purpose. You could adversely affect the life (whatever's left of it) of your GPU by running it this way.

Why don't you consider replacing the fan? I have done this on a GPU in the past. The GPU worked fine thereafter, albeit a couple of degrees hotter compared to the original fan. Not sure what the exact model for your GPU is or if this option is even possible in your case.

If you post a close up pic of your GPU, maybe someone on TE could offer/sell/give you a similar card where the GPU was dead but the fan is fine. You could then swap it out (provided you're comfortable doing that sort of thing and all it entails).

Consider posting in the "Want to buy products" section of TE with the exact model of your GPU and try your luck. What harm can it do?

Alternately, you can hunt around for a compatible fan from markets like Nehru Place (or similar markets where you live). You might just get lucky and it won't cost you as much as buying a new GPU.

That's provided you're happy with the performance of your current GPU and would like to extend its life rather than simply looking for an 'excuse' to upgrade. :p

Last edited:
@op stick a 80mm fan to heatsink using plastic tags and connect the fan to molex. My 9500gt is running at full oc for 3years with this mod no hiccups.
f6ib.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am using an almost 7 year old system with most of the primary components being from around 2007. Now there is no problem with my system except with the GPU.

The GPU fan is dead (it is a sapphire 8600gt). hence the GPU reaches temperatures of 130C and keeps slowing down or freezing while playing movies etc.

For personal reasons I do not want to overhaul the entire system and hence was thinking of a R7 250 to tide me over and basically extend the lifeline of my PC :D.

Would love to hear from the members if this sounds feasible or there are other better choices.

Raj

when did Sapphire released a graphic card with nvidia chipset ? :D anyway, if you have a C2D/C2Q cpu [ like 6xxx series ] you better get the R7 250 as you wil some great performance improvements.

As I said 7 years back maybe sapphire had one. Thanks for the replies guys. I went and purchased a 7750 as it has comparable to better performance over a R750 and was slightly less expensive. Also my older card could not play 3D blue ray titles and I have a blue ray optical drive. I guess it has been a long time and maybe I wanted to upgrade.

@topgear I paid 6700 plus change for the card. It is a 2GB version and is the weaker GDDR3 card. Frankly, I was only looking at extending the life of my PC and not on performance. There is only so much you can improve on a C2D PC. Maybe soem time down the line I will get a full machine upgrade, new box and new everything inside :p. Till then this will suffice.

Back