PC Peripherals Dying PSU

Decius

Adept
Hi All

Recently I downloaded the HWmonitor and checked my CPU voltage.. the 5V seem to be pretty low. Is it time to change the PSU? my current PSU is a Mercury 300 watt and is about 3.5 yrs old. Please suggest.

It looks more like your motherboard sensors are screwy or the software isn't interpreting the data right. Considering the -12V and -5V readings are off as well, it seems the case.

A 5V line dropping that low wouldn't even let the system function normally.

Get a multimeter or try reading the voltages through the BIOS to confirm.

That being said, a 3 yr old generic PSU wouldn't be in too good shape by now.

What's the rest of your system config like?

really strange to c that..

Juz open the cabinet ..do a guuud dusting of all components with a blower and start using it again.... continue using it until it goes kaput.. or until it no longer serves ur requirements...
And dont at the voltage anymore..

My config is as follows:

Athlon XP 3000+
Gigabyte K8M800 mobo (via chipset)
80 GB SATA HDD (Seagate)
512 mb RAM
CD writer
FDD

^ Your config looks fairly light, so perhaps things are still fine.

As I mentioned earlier, confirm through the BIOS or a Multimeter. IMHO, I don't think the voltages are as off as indicated.

*But* I still would not trust generic PSU's like Mercury and the likes, especially a 3 yr old one. If and when you can save up, do upgrade to a better PSU. :)

With such generic PSU's, output capacitors are usually the first components to weaken over time. As a result, you get loads of ripple on your output voltage rails which tend to put greater stresses on your PC voltage regulation circuitry and will shorten your PC's life-span.

gangulysaptak said:
really strange to c that..

Juz open the cabinet ..do a guuud dusting of all components with a blower and start using it again.... continue using it until it goes kaput.. or until it no longer serves ur requirements...

And dont at the voltage anymore..

You can't be serious? :S

Dust is definitely not related to this case (though cleaning never hurts).

Using an entry level PSU till it goes kaput, is never a good idea since most of them have very poor OVP/OCP, and can leave you with a good show of fireworks!

What PSU would u suggest as n when i upgrade for this config with the addition of may be one more SATA hard disk and a DVD writer.

The cheapest PSU I can think of that would be a notch over the generic models floating around would be the recently reviewed CM XtremePower 460W. Is around 1.9k in the market now.

If you have access to Powersafe where you live, there are a few Powersafe models that are re-badged FSP units.

You could go all-out and buy the Corsair VX450 for around 3.2k too :lol: . Might serve you well, if you ever upgrade to a more power hungry setup.

Crazy_Eddy said:
You can't be serious? :S
Dust is definitely not related to this case (though cleaning never hurts).
Using an entry level PSU till it goes kaput, is never a good idea since most of them have very poor OVP/OCP, and can leave you with a good show of fireworks!

I have a Athlon 2600+ (barton core, 333mhz),MSI K7N2 mobo,XFX GF2 MX400 gfx card and a old zebby 400watts..
until 6 months back everythng was normal.used to get max CPU temp of 38 and max system temp of 44.

Recently CPU temp shot up to 60 :S and system temp to 57.

I observed only 1 irregularity.. PSU 3.3V line dropping to about 2.95.
or also thot this might be dust prob(i keep the cabby side cover open..and didnt clean it for maybe a year.. the lazy type)

so ordered a vx450 and OCZ freeze thermal compound from our Techshopguy..and waiting.. keeping my fingers crossed and hoping these 2 parts will solve my problem..:cool2:

But in this case u can go with Eddy and get urself a new PSU.

Back