Storage Solutions Dying WD Hard Disk - Slow Transfer - Recovery Possible?

varkey said:
The drive was in my download rig / NAS actually, an Atom box. Its back to normal working fine. :)

That brings me to question:
Was it really faulty? if yes, then how did it repaired on its own?

Windows users can use which SystemRescueCd which is bootable from CD/USB and it does not need any install. It does contain ddrescue among other useful tools:hap2:

Description: SystemRescueCd is a Linux system rescue disk available as a bootable CD-ROM or USB stick for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. It aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the partitions of the hard disk. It comes with a lot of linux software such as system tools (parted, partimage, fstools, ...) and basic tools (editors, midnight commander, network tools). It requires no installation. It can be used on linux servers, linux desktops or windows boxes.

Link: SystemRescueCd

Hello there , thread is little old , I don't know if you guys are still around , but if anyone got any ideas and want to help me out I'll be thankful . First of all really thanks a lot guys .... This thread help me a lot , I'm not really sure that it will solve the problem, but still I'm trying in a different way
Let me explain how did my hard drive got in trouble
Few days ago I was trying to recover files from formatted hardrive which was 500 gb (external) and save them to 2 tb hard drive (external) , I left my laptop on and it took 2 days to do that , but it didn't completed, because transfer was become very slow , I decided to quit that thing, I was thinking could be because of my laptop , but I realized that it made my hard drive very slow transfer because of tons of files in that were recovered but I didn't knew it , I'll ended up like this .... It was late when I realized that and I couldn't do anything about that been 2 months, I was scared to let hard drive connected to laptop again and let it on for months to just delete that folder , for more time it could let damage something machinery from inside ... 3 days ago.

I was searching for an answers

Found this website which was mention by 3 people about ddrescue, I'm really not a pro ,

but I was going this way
ONE USB (installed Linux )
ONE LAPTOP 250 gb (installed windows 7)
TWO EXTERNAL 2 TB HARDDRIVE

I run few commands
But I wasn't able to delete that folder (folder which I recover 500 gb hard drive ) it was showing read only files . I was thinking might removing this folder would solve my problem, so why to take other risks of losing data?

I was able to mount one drive at one time .
Any suggestions to make all 3 drive READ AND WRITE ?
For example I type command
Ntfs-3g /dev/sda3/ /mnt/windows (means I can READ AND WRITE in laptop harddrive) and only thing I can access is my laptop data
If I type
Ntfs-3g /dev/sdd/ /mnt/windows ( only thing I can access my 2 tb external hard drive).
If I want to copy from 2 tb external hard drive, to another 2 tb external hard drive , what I have to do ?
I'm just curious to know ,
If I connect my both external hard drive to laptop ( 1. Which is slow, 2. The one I borrow )
Can I make them both read and write ??? Mount both together and transfer the files ??

Thanks in advance

By the way ,
I just deleted that folder , something looks like this , it's taking very long to umount my external hard drive. It's looks Something like this ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 132
Back