CPU/Mobo E8400 or Q9550

saROMan

Disciple
OK its time to Upgrade and am damn confused

1st my Rig ..
E4500+ Abit IP35-E , 6 GB RAM+ Palit 9600GSO+ 500GB X2 + 160GB X2 HDD and VIP 400W :ashamed:

...during my last upgrade it was rather a simple choice either Intel Duel Core OR C2D (i chose C2D:D) ...but this time man Intel is throwing Proccy's in market like any thing ....any ways back to topic i am not in a mood to invest 20K+ in Core i7/i5 so the choice left is either C2D or C2Q ....now after going thru tons of Toms/Anandtech/overclockersclub Reviews i have zeroed upon either E8400 Or Q9550 ..my basic use will be Casual Gaming ..movies ...and rarely any muvee encoding .....just checked local market & E8400 is apptox 8K and Q9550 is approx 10~11K @ Bangalore ..now am not planning the next upgrade for least 1~1.5 yrs ...so the processor should take what ever i throw @ it (though with a 9600 GSO i will have a limited choice:ashamed:) ..also not much of a OC fan + my Foxxcon HSF will not let me go too far with OC :mad:......any ways please help me choose ..i have my dibs on E8400 (6MB L2 cache 2.93Ghz 1066MHz) ....but @ the same time Q9550 (12MB L2 cache 2.83Ghz 1333MHz FSB) is a eye grabber ..so should i settle for E8400 or spend xtra 3~4K on Quad (Which i can surely use for a new PSU +/- HSF)...guess you can understand how confused am rite now :Comp3:..please :help2:

As you'll not be upgrading for 1-1.5 years i'll suggest you to go for C2Q9550.

as it makes you future proof for 2-3k extra money.

With core i5 now as low as 10.5 K i would advice you to aviod both Q9550 (expensive then i5 and lower in performance) E8400 Not worth at present considering price of quad core.

RoBoGhOsT said:
i think u should go for i5 if u have 11k for processor .

btw try to post more clearly not a long single paragraph :p

Dnt get u ....question is simple either e8400 or Q9550 ..my work does not permit me to be b4 my system for 2~3 hrs max ..so some casual gaming / movies (720p/1080p) and internet are my basic requirements ...also am a Hardcore Indian:bleh: thus VFM @ ridiculously low price will be my ultimate aim :rofl:

BTW if i have to go for a i7/i5 then i will have 2 change the whole rig which am not interested rite now ..

saROMan said:
Dnt get u ....question is simple either e8400 or Q9550 ..my work does not permit me to be b4 my system for 2~3 hrs max ..so some casual gaming / movies (720p/1080p) and internet are my basic requirements ...also am a Hardcore Indian:bleh: thus VFM @ ridiculously low price will be my ultimate aim :rofl:

If so why are you upgrading ? your setup seems okay for most of the task mentioned by you, why you want to blow away your money on a expensive quad core like Q9550 certainly a hardcore Indian would not do that :no: ! What is the actual purpose of upgrade ? if it is for better gaming performance upgrade to a better GPU not CPU that is what likely to give you more performance, if you want little more juice from your system go the overclocking way! Your setup is quite good at that, Just upgarde your PSU that's It

tosh79 said:
If so why are you upgrading ? your setup seems okay for most of the task mentioned by you, why you want to blow away your money on a expensive quad core like Q9550 certainly a hardcore Indian would not do that :no: ! What is the actual purpose of upgrade ? if it is for better gaming performance upgrade to a better GPU not CPU that is what likely to give you more performance, if you want little more juice from your system go the overclocking way! Your setup is quite good at that, Just upgarde your PSU that's It

Da best quote of the whole lot.

I know that you don't do any CPU intensive stuff. Believe me we have almost the same setups.

At the most up your GFX that would give you a little more juice outta the system. Prolly a GTS 250 512MB/1GB its equivalent to my card. When you are good to invest in a Core i5/i7 setup then spend.

tosh79 said:
With core i5 now as low as 10.5 K i would advice you to aviod both Q9550 (expensive then i5 and lower in performance) E8400 Not worth at present considering price of quad core.

Well there are and always will be better CPU than the one you decide to buy :mad: .. also chked SP Road & a new i5+mobo will cost me approx 16K ..and looking @ current trend my Abit wont cover up the cost much ...also seeing my friend using E8400 from last 1 yr w/out any complains ...
tosh79 said:

thing is am building a 2nd rig @ home use and have all the components except CPU :mad: ....guess getting a Duel core / C2D @ 3~5 K ..makes more sense to pass on my existing CPU & upgrade 2 a better one :rofl:...also my E4500 lasted for approx 6~8 months b4 i start feeling should OC it as it started failing me ...just wanna stretch my exp to a year least this time ...

i5 750 without a shadow of doubt.

But a 9450 or 9550 is anyday overall a better bet than any dual core CPU no matter how highly oced.

saROMan said:
...also my E4500 lasted for approx 6~8 months b4 i start feeling should OC it as it started failing me

Ok just a general question and not directed only to the thread starter.. when is it that one feels that now his proccy should be overclocked ??? I never got that feeling even when I used my P4 1.8 GHZ proccy :bleh: This is a question just outta plain curiosity.

djmykey said:
Ok just a general question and not directed only to the thread starter.. when is it that one feels that now his proccy should be overclocked ??? I never got that feeling even when I used my P4 1.8 GHZ proccy :bleh: This is a question just outta plain curiosity.
None taken ...:bleh:...well the answer is when you come across Photoshop CS4 OR when you try to Run Left 4 Dead/ Crysis etc on your Windows 7
OR you are trying to Run encode 702p/1080p movies (this was b4 my OCZ) ..ne ways cudnt go beyond 2.5 Ghz on my stock HSF:ashamed:

take my E8400 and i will buy Q9550.
you know i dont game much but i am very much into Vmware. so i want Q9550.
cant throw my P5Q E mobo + 8GB DHX ram for i5 setup so have to go for Q9550.
let me know ....... i am planning for proc in Diwali :)

avi_avadhut said:
take my E8400 and i will buy Q9550.
you know i dont game much but i am very much into Vmware. so i want Q9550.
cant throw my P5Q E mobo + 8GB DHX ram for i5 setup so have to go for Q9550.
let me know ....... i am planning for proc in Diwali :)

thanks dude but i cant wait that long ..i will have 2 ship my proccy 2day only:mad::mad: ... still donno what will i go for .... may b will get a E8400+ VX450:huh: or just Q9550 and hope my VIP 400W will not fail me :ashamed:

Well to put it all to rest ...went to SP Road and got a Sparky new Q9550 E0 Stepping and CM 460W Extreme with it.... just one small Glitch i was not aware of Teething issues between Abit & Q9550 so after assembling/dissembling the PC for 1 Hr and Googling and flashing my BIOS twice i was finally able to detect the Quad in Bios with correct temperature(earlier it was showing 98 Celcius ) & Multiplier (8 instead of 8.5)...now will be giving a Torture testing for the CPU & PSU .....:clap:
any ways thanks a lot guys for all your support & Bashing :bleh:

saROMan said:
Well to put it all to rest ...went to SP Road and got a Sparky new Q9550 E0 Stepping and CM 460W Extreme with it.... just one small Glitch i was not aware of Teething issues between Abit & Q9550 so after assembling/dissembling the PC for 1 Hr and Googling and flashing my BIOS twice i was finally able to detect the Quad in Bios with correct temperature(earlier it was showing 98 Celcius ) & Multiplier (8 instead of 8.5)...now will be giving a Torture testing for the CPU & PSU .....:clap:
any ways thanks a lot guys for all your support & Bashing :bleh:

And please for God sakes don't hit the panic button so soon :p a true Sys Admin tinkers and sometimes burns the mobo too before pushing the panic button :bleh:

Back