Ebook Reader - Over 9 Inches topic revival...

HareshG

Disciple
The only option available was Kindle DXG. Since the support for pdf was total pants, i decided to wait it through.

Current options are :

1) Kindle DXG on a custom firmware Duokan - All i have heard is this makes a ton of things easier with DXG.

2) PocketBook Pro 903/902 - The most stable of the lot, Lacks pearl display.

3) Onyx Boox M90/91S - A recent contender, but has many issues with respect to the IR sensor and pdf loading.

So mainly i am looking at DXG & Pro 903 , any one as used the custom firmware for the same?

Cheers!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

In a random act of senseless violence; I have ordered the DXG.

So now the wait...

Hi there.

Did you receive your Kindle DX Graphite? What are your reviews on it? Is PDF as bad as on the 6 incher....

Need a good PDF reader myself, one that can also read word docs effortlessly.

As has been discussed many times here, the Kindle isn't exactly the best choice for a PDF. However, the DX, due to its larger real estate does better than other e-ink readers in this department. PDFs converted into native format render much better, but the downside is that PDFs loaded with images do not have a smooth conversion. I would suggest looking at one of those tablets - even iPad first gen for that matter - if your primary usage is reading PDFs. You might also have a look at the recently release Nook Color, though I haven't used it personally to be able to comment how good or pad the PDFs would be on it.

Any tablet will be better than an e-reader for PDFs . That said , Duokan on my Kindle does make PDFs a bit easier to read but i just convert my books so i shifted back to stock FW

IMHO its difficult to beat a eInk screen for reading, its essential to try to read on an eInk screen to see the huge difference between eInk and LCD, its difficult to explain unless you can physically see the difference.

Its not a simple matter of formats. eInk is hugely easier on the eyes and is ideal for extended periods of reading, a lcd is more appropriate for short bursts of casual reading.

I got a nook simple touch reader and it reads most of the pdf files just fine and is much much more readable than any lcd screen based tablet.

That kinda depends on person to person. I have read quite many books on htc p3450 then tytn II, both of which are lcd and werenot that uncomfortable.

While nowadays, I do use my kindle for reading, I don't prefer it simply because it is eink. It is the portability the device offers along with the excellent battery life which makes it a default choice for me. Having a better than screen with no glare is added advantage for me.

Of course, you can argue that you can get such a light weight tablet with similar battery life and that is perfectly justified. But still, I believe that it is possible to read for long hours on a white background/black text lcd without straining you eyes as much as made out to be.

raul said:
IMHO its difficult to beat a eInk screen for reading, its essential to try to read on an eInk screen to see the huge difference between eInk and LCD, its difficult to explain unless you can physically see the difference.

Its not a simple matter of formats. eInk is hugely easier on the eyes and is ideal for extended periods of reading, a lcd is more appropriate for short bursts of casual reading.
That remains the main reason for me to prefer an e-ink reader over an lcd. 8+ hrs in front of the screen is taking its toll on my eyes (and head;) ). I simply cannot deal with yet another lcd to read vast expanses of PDF and word docx. That's why the e-ink preference.

Based on a review I read recently, the DXG does make reading PDF's easier, though the zoom function is still pretty painful.

Thanks for your inputs everyone... looking to hear from the op too...price etc.

notionink adam
its indian device
but dont know whether they take orders or not
wait for next round of orders to commence

thats a expensive tablet, and the discussion here seems to be inclined towards an e ink reader.

For a cheap tablet that can be used as a reader would be viewsonic g Tablet available in US for 250$, and does has few stable HoneyComb ports

sam249 said:
notionink adam

its indian device

but dont know whether they take orders or not

wait for next round of orders to commence

some of the drawbacks with eink.

cannot read in indoor or low light.second except for the boox none of them support chm,djvu formats.ie the ones above 9 inches.I was seriously looking at a ebook reader for the past 2 years and atlast admitted defeat and went with ni adam.The adam is an expensive tablet no doubt compared to the ebook reader of 7 inch screens but for 9.7 inches the price of a adam is comparable.ie second hand ones.

the advantages of an adam

first it is convenient to hold.

second it has pixel qi screen although to be honest i have not used it much.Excellent readers are available for the android tablets.I can read all the fomats ie epub,htm,djvu,chm,pdf.

third the adam is hackable from the word go.Infact most of the device's hardware does not work like the camera etc but if your purpose is reading then adam is the best device out there with respect to the ergonomics of holding the device.

johnie1 said:
some of the drawbacks with eink.

cannot read in indoor or low light.second except for the boox none of them support chm,djvu formats.ie the ones above 9 inches.I was seriously looking at a ebook reader for the past 2 years and atlast admitted defeat and went with ni adam.The adam is an expensive tablet no doubt compared to the ebook reader of 7 inch screens but for 9.7 inches the price of a adam is comparable.ie second hand ones.

the advantages of an adam

first it is convenient to hold.

second it has pixel qi screen although to be honest i have not used it much.Excellent readers are available for the android tablets.I can read all the fomats ie epub,htm,djvu,chm,pdf.

third the adam is hackable from the word go.Infact most of the device's hardware does not work like the camera etc but if your purpose is reading then adam is the best device out there with respect to the ergonomics of holding the device.

eink is not something that cant be read indoors. Ofcourse, with no backlight, you can read it in dark or very low light, but I feel personally anywhere a book can be read, eink based readers works reasonably enough. Ofcourse the background leaves a bit to be desired.

If I had to have a tablet, I guess I would have either gone for the Nook colour. 7 inch, the screen is also pretty much gud. Adam seems to have had horrid reviews everywhere I look. With a pixel qi the price really gets pushed up making ipad seem a good bargain.

bitsandpieces said:
eink is not something that cant be read indoors. Ofcourse, with no backlight, you can read it in dark or very low light, but I feel personally anywhere a book can be read, eink based readers works reasonably enough. Ofcourse the background leaves a bit to be desired.

If I had to have a tablet, I guess I would have either gone for the Nook colour. 7 inch, the screen is also pretty much gud. Adam seems to have had horrid reviews everywhere I look. With a pixel qi the price really gets pushed up making ipad seem a good bargain.

ah man your eyes must be really good.I honestly cannot read eink without a backlight.Coming to nook it has only 7 inch screen.How good is it for reading?.Actually an a4 size layout is the optimal size for reading academic stuff.But 10.1 is ok i guess.The problem with adam is lot of software for the hardware inside does not work.So people get frustrated plus it came with a matt screen guard which made the screen look pixalated but once you remove the screen guard it is ok.

Ipad is good for looks/and limited functionality.You are locked inside steve jobs universe unless it is jail broken.well define your needs and then go for it.

If pixel qi screen is not wanted there is msi wind tablet for around 22k excellent hardware with windows 7 or if money does not matter you can go for toshiba thrive.

if in einks you are looking no choice i am afraid.Boox is the only one with the potential but is plagued by again problems like the adam.Software not working for the hardware.So take your pick.

Nothing in einks at the moment,a bit of hope in tablets but for how long can a man wait.So jumped and went for the adam and at the moment i am happy with the adam.Just waiting for ni's improved ui or tabletroms better roms.

johnie1 said:
ah man your eyes must be really good.I honestly cannot read eink without a backlight.

Add me to the list of those with good eyes too :p For the record, I can read a book / Kindle in light, not in the dark :D

There arent much bridge devices between ebook readers and tablets,isnt it.

It looks like a very lucrative market.

I cant help but wonder why dont we see more of pixel qi,mirasol displayed devices (Is it that bad?).

E Ink readers are strictly for reading. There is no point in comparing a Kindle/Nook with the Adam/Ipad. These products are aimed at 2 different markets.Tablets have more features but they are not very good for extended reading.The back lighting really kills your eyes (and this is coming from a guy who has read many a novels on a 3-inch phone screen ;) ).

An E ink reader is strictly for people who read a lot and are worried about their thickening spectacles ;) .There are some added bonuses .

E inks dont use power when displaying text so they can last for days, even more than a month depending on your usage. The smaller ones are easier to hold up with one hand (lighter) and convenient for reading when reclined :) . And of-course they are cheaper. Their ability to display image intensive pdfs are the only negative point.

Not long ago i myself was banging my head unable to choose between a cheap tablet and a E Ink reader. So for people in that position i would suggest deciding on one having your usage pattern in mind

Extensive reading -> E ink

Internet -> Tablet

PDF -> Tablet

Lightweight/small size -> E ink

etc

Back