Ebook reader suggestions please...

Hey,

I am plannin to buy a ebook reader in a couple of days for Thanks giving.
My only requirement is that i need to install an exe file in the ebook reader.

The exe is a book and once i install it i will be able to read the book.
Is there any ebook reader in which i can install a exe file ???

Please help..

regards,
doubleseven

@ Baccilus

The exe book that i am talking about is about 50 lakh lines and i also have multi keyword search possible in the exe program which i will loose in case i extract the book from that exe file.

Anyways i will try out as u said.

Again, is there any particular model in which i can use the exe book i have with me ?

Regards,

doubleseven

No there is not. You can go for a Netbook if you just want to read that one book. There are no eBook reader that I am aware of that can execute exe files. Moreover, virus infected eBook readers are the last thing we need.

Okay lets leave on Ebook reader as you say.

Is there any handy device which allows me to install the exe and read it comfortably ???

Regards,
doubleseven

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I guess tablets can be used to install the exe.
Any good tablets ?

Guys,

Can u let me know the price of the following tablets and also if it will suppot exe formats ???

1) BlackBerry PlayBook

2) Notion ink Adam

3) Viewsonic Viewpad 7

4) Samsung Galaxy Tab

Regards,
doubleseven

Doubleseven said:
Okay lets leave on Ebook reader as you say.

Is there any handy device which allows me to install the exe and read it comfortably ???

Regards,

doubleseven

I guess tablets can be used to install the exe.

Any good tablets ?
hmm. You should then go for windows 7 based tablets. even ipad or android tablets won't be able to run the exe. Which brings me to the question: Why do you want to buy such a tablet just to read one ebook?

@doubleseven: An exe file usually means a windows executable, so you need a dvice that is running Windows on it to read it. So your options are pretty much limited to either a netbook, or one of the upcoming windows tablets.

desiibond said:
hmm. You should then go for windows 7 based tablets. even ipad or android tablets won't be able to run the exe. Which brings me to the question: Why do you want to buy such a tablet just to read one ebook?

Actually i have a desktop with 22 inch monitor which i mainly use for watching movies. Recenly i have been reading a book(exe file) very often. I find it very uncomfortable to read the book in the desktop. And as its thanks giving i thought i will get a device to read that book. It contains around 5,00,000 lines in it. Sixe of the exe file is 120 mb
So i am planning to buy a device to read it when i am in sofa or my bed. If the devices have other features then its okay for me. My budget is max 300$.
Any suggestions for my requirement ?

techie_007 said:
@doubleseven: An exe file usually means a windows executable, so you need a dvice that is running Windows on it to read it. So your options are pretty much limited to either a netbook, or one of the upcoming windows tablets.

Am not inclined to netbook. I dont want a keyboard.
When are windows tablets releasing ?

baccilus said:
You will be better of extracting the actual book out of that .exe program and reading that on an actual eBook reader. Heres the first link I got on a google search:

E-book: unEbookEdit - A batch decompiler for .EXE type ebooks made by ebook edit pro . It's a Demo but may do the Job for you.

Don't waste your money buying some crap eBook reader just to read one book. Buy a good eBook reader that will serve you well for a long time.

I was unable to extract the book using the above ebook extracter.

Anyways which is the best ebook reader ?

I have some 500 ebooks which i will be using with the reader if i buy one.

All my ebooks are in pdf only. My ebook count is more than 500.At the max it would reach 1000.

Kindle DX is a bit costly.. Thats wat i feel..

And also Kindle can be used for only the books that are present in Amazon store.. Is it so ???

Can we copy all my personal ebooks into the Kindle DX or Kindle 3 ?

After a small research that i did last night.

I find Sony Ebook reader PRS-650 as good and also value for money.

Please give your suggestions..

You can read those books on your Kindle too. You don't necessarily have to read only amazon book on the Kindle. PRS 650 screen is smaller than the Kindle DX, so DX is still the best bet for your PDF's.

Yeah, thats because Kindle DX has a 9.7 inch screen whereas, Sony PRS 650 has a 6 inch. Kindle 3 has a 6" screen and is $139.

Now, if you want to haev a reader JUST to read books in pdf format, forget about the ereader. No reader in the workd can read pdfs ideally. And, this is a fact that one realizes only after buying the device (like I did). As for the exe books, am sorry, I have never heard of a book that comes with that extension. I dont think, OS's apart from Windows can even execute an exe file.

To know more about ereaders and ebooks and their formats, go to www.the-ebook-reader.com and go to their "how to" section to read up more.

Also, research ohese keywords: text reflow, ereader reviews.

I can list the ereaders for you that are excellent for what they are made. You do the research on them:

1) Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi/3g - $139/$189
2) Sony PRS 350/650/950 - $150/$200/$300?
3) B&N Nook
4) B&N Nook color
Tablets:
1) iPad
2) Samsung Galaxy - Rs. 36000 - 38000 for 16GB version

This is all I can remember off the top of my head.

My suggestion is to research on these for some time before coming back and asking the questions, as most of your questions will be answered by the reading that you will do. Thats what I did for a few weeks before buying my Kindle 3. I had ZERO knowledge when I started. I got an idea to get an ebook reader because of Sei's show off thread of his own Nook. Happy reading mate. :)

Back