Editing of scenes in movie channels

Kalopsia

Disciple
In HBO, Star movies and the like...

What's with the bizarre editing of movies? Any scene with atleast a little bit of blood and gore is edited out. Some weeks ago, I sat down to watch Angels & Demons in HBO; not a single scene of the cardinal's death were shown. Hell, not even the scene where they open the dead pope's tomb.

:mad:

yup..... i also found lot of scenes being censored or edited out.......... i remember watching one movie on setmax on one day, dont remember the name :)............. there too many bad words in the movie....... everytime one said the audio was silent for 2 seconds....... it was like missing the whole dialogues in the conversation........ it was very irritating...........

This must be due to the pressure from I&B ministry I guess. I remember the time [1995 - 2002???] when there was absolutely no censorship on any of the TV channels and we used to watch simulated sex, nudity, gore, foul language [appropriate ratings given before the movie aired like 15+ & 18+] in Star Movies. From the time HBO came, everything became PG. But I don't think the channels themselves will do it as it is a cost & time intensive process to make an 18 rated movie PG friendly.

First they used to put a *beep* when foul language was used but now only silence.

I am sure when Peepli Live is shown on TV they too will censor all the foul language used.

i think its censor boards doing. even music videos & tv serials need to get approval of this board to air on channels, so with old people on the boards, everything will be censored quite heavily.

Was watching the Simpsons...some episode where the Dalai Lama was shown...cut out the entire scene. Learned from wiki that it was supposed to the Dalai Lama.

Now I've read an interview with him, and to me he seems to be the last person in the world who would be offended by this. But I guess the Indian Censor board knows best. :mad:

neoronin said:
This must be due to the pressure from I&B ministry I guess. I remember the time [1995 - 2002???] when there was absolutely no censorship on any of the TV channels and we used to watch simulated sex, nudity, gore, foul language [appropriate ratings given before the movie aired like 15+ & 18+] in Star Movies. From the time HBO came, everything became PG. But I don't think the channels themselves will do it as it is a cost & time intensive process to make an 18 rated movie PG friendly.
neoronin said:
To some degree, YES. I remember back in 1995, I saw Terminator on Star Movies with a 18+ rating and it had edited the scene where Arnold guts out one of thugs he meets in the beginning. It was only when I saw the film being aired on Laser Disk cable channel, did I realise it was edited. Foul language wasn't edited though. I think Zee MGM was another channel which did not censor frontal nudity & retained abusive language as well. Although these sort of movies were reserved for 11:00PM onwards slots only. They then started using the mozaic pixellated blurring for nudity. I still remember following almost every movie on HBO during my teenage days and now when I re-watch those movies, I realise how much material was actually chopped off.

I guess our Censor board still hasn't matured and stuck with the age old "nudity is bad" taboo. God bless the Internet & DVD's!

TV cannot be censored like movies.... So they edit out the scenes.... No point watching movies on TV, just download and watch the unrated editions... even the DVDs sold pass through censor boards and are edited to some extent.....

Besides there is no way they will allow something like Salo to pass thru anyway.... :)

ronnie_gogs said:
TV cannot be censored like movies.... So they edit out the scenes.... No point watching movies on TV, just download and watch the unrated editions... even the DVDs sold pass through censor boards and are edited to some extent.....

Besides there is no way they will allow something like Salo to pass thru anyway.... :)
There are plenty of shops which import the Unrated editions from abroad. I have been to nearly 2 stores in Andheri (Bombay) where I saw the Unrated editions being sold. If it's from a local distribution channel then there is a possibility of some scenes getting the axe.

Ethan_Hunt said:
There are plenty of shops which import the Unrated editions from abroad. I have been to nearly 2 stores in Andheri (Bombay) where I saw the Unrated editions being sold. If it's from a local distribution channel then there is a possibility of some scenes getting the axe.

Hmm haven't seen unrated editions in the shops I normally visit... Guess will have to find them....
But I would still prefer downloads cause local shops cant compete with no. of movies can I find online and the quality of the video....

In star movies i guess now they just show an AD when there is going to be some 'scene' and when ad completes the scene is also gone

^lol. seems like make money when scene plays idea :lol:

it used to happen in cricket with DD channel - they used to start ads when a wicket fell and continue it to the next ball. And if another wicket fell, then during replay they show another ad.

Yea I m truly pissed when they censor out the scenes. But the most irritating thing that movie channels have started doing is showing ads just before the credits roll. The other day I was watching The Dark Knight on HBO, they cut the last speech by Gary Oldman just to show ads. Ruined the whole movie experience. No point watching movies on TV.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ronnie_gogs said:
Hmm haven't seen unrated editions in the shops I normally visit... Guess will have to find them....
But I would still prefer downloads cause local shops cant compete with no. of movies can I find online and the quality of the video....
Very true. Has anyone seen Hostel or Saw series sold officially in India. All of them have seen it via downloads.

Back