eDonkey and WinMX Shutdown

Haste

Proxy Warrior
Adept
The company behind the popular peer-to-peer network eDonkey has announced that the site is to shut down.

In a testimony to the US Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Sam Yagan, president of MetaMachine, said that he had informed the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) that he would cease to support the network.

The news follows last week's closure of the WinMX file sharing service.

"I would like to make it clear to the Committee that we have replied to the RIAA's cease-and-desist letter and I have personally committed to [RIAA president] Cary Sherman, which I reiterate today, that we are in the process of complying with its request," stated Yagan.

"Therefore I am not here as an active participant in the future of P2P, but rather as one who has thrown in the towel and with no interest in replaying past issues."

Yagan insisted that he was not a "P2P zealot" and was actively seeking to resolve copyright issues. However he questioned the effectiveness of passing legislation against P2P systems, since seven of the top 10 major P2P software companies are located overseas.

Yagan was testifying at a special session of the Judiciary Committee started after the MGM v Grokster hearing, entitled Protecting Copyright and Innovation in a Post-Grokster World.
Source

Man this sux....edonkey was the best p2p network for finding rare stuff.
ROTT IN HELL, RIAA!!! :mad:

^^ it the whole edonkey network is shutdown, it should not work.

im bothered about winmx's shutdown. it was one of the lightest and fast . sadly, all things have to come to an end :(

Damn it! That's why winmx was not connecting to their server these last days...
Personally, yeah winmx is good, but i still think there are better out there.
and does e-donkey's closure mean e-mule won't work no more ?

hey ppl,

i wont a good p2p which will help me find rare stuff like emulators and things related to that.emule,edonkey and shareaza queue me up in places which will need me to keep my pc for for years. :(

ares only supports copyrighted stuff..

are there ne others..which wud also give me good dwd speeds?

P.S :- i do not want songs etc. other rare stuffs.

goldenfrag said:
Ares only Supports copywrighted stuff?
What are you crazy?? I use it all the time. I Find everything i need :S.

i installed the latest version of ares. and it asked whether u wud use ares to dwd copywrited stuff?
i said no and then it said thank yoy for ur support but u can use ares only for copywrited stuff. :S

If edonkey's shutdown, then how's it still working for me? It wouldn't connect at all, for the past 2-3 days but it just has right now. I'm getting search results and everything.

In fact, I even have a download and upload in progress. Is it working for everyone else as well?

thegamerulez said:
i installed the latest version of ares. and it asked whether u wud use ares to dwd copywrited stuff?
i said no and then it said thank yoy for ur support but u can use ares only for copywrited stuff. :S

Funny thing... :rofl: :rofl: :eek:hyeah: :S

The reason ed2k networks are still working are because they are decentralised, ie not owned by meta-machine.

I will mourn the loss of my favorite p2p.

Because of this, Overnet, the alreeady semi dead network will stop working.

Emule will give u the added advantage of the KAD netwrok...

Back