Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering(CSE)

You can get job in microsoft,google,and other big enginering companies with ece and cse and pretty much any engineering degree.(U can check that out yourself ...see any microsoft,google,adobe etc job listing....the minimum criteria is BS in CS or any related technical field....."related technical field"=any engineeering degree ,pretty much any degree with mathematics in it.------------that dosent mean just because u have a degree in ece u can get a job in these companies because unless u r some kind of genius ,at the end of 4 years a CSE student will always be better at CS than an ECE student because CS is what he was studying for 4 years.....even 99.99% of these CSE student dont get job in these companies....so for ECE student it will be harder.
For ECE student getting into their own core companies is extremely hard and only the exceptional ones make it.
BOTTOM LINE IS IN INDIA ECE OR CSE UNLESS U CAN MANAGE TO STAY IN TOP 10 OF YOUR CLASS U WILL BE STUCK WITH A IT JOB

I don't want to work with Resistors, Capacitors etc. I am just interested in Hardware.

For e.g.: Myself & you both are engineers, I design the hardware of a phone & you make the design complete.

Now, Where should I go??

I don't want to work with Resistors, Capacitors etc. I am just interested in Hardware.

For e.g.: Myself & you both are engineers, I design the hardware of a phone & you make the design complete.

Now, Where should I go??
How do you design without a knowledge of its workings? ECE takes care of all of that.

Or are you talking about just the outer design and aesthetics?

Now, Where should I go??
all electronic hardware is made up of resistors and capacitors.....do you mean u want to design the electronic circuit for mobile but dont want to put the resistors and capacitors in the circuit yourself??....if thats the case all those things are automated and electronic engineers dont do that maually...they just design a circuit on paper.....

I'm an electronics engineer and run a small electronics design company that focuses on a certain vertical. I design and sell a few products so know a little bit of what I'm talking about...

In electronics these days, resistors and capacitors are least of your worries. Most electronic design these days is centered around microcontrollers and DSPs. These are almost small computers with their compilers and assemblers. So although you may be in electronics, the heart of an electronic systems for most purposes is a computer. So there's a fair bit of programming involved.

Then, of course, comes the myriad peripheral ICs and components that go into an electronic product - voltage regulators, op-amps, couplers etc.

Electronics is fairly easy to begin with and cheap too. There's a whole lot of free/low-cost tools (software and otherwise) out there to assist you along - Electronic CAD, simulators, discussion forum.

From a career perspective, I think 'pure' electronic design engineers in India aren't so highly paid, whereas in the US and Europe, things are vastly better as usual. Prolly because there's precious little product development in this country - although LG/Samsung/Nokia do have development
centres. However, if you have additional skills like proficiency in some programming languages, Matlab, LabVIEW, exposure to mechanical design; you become a multi-talented engineer and there are some large design consultancies that could hire you and more importantly, value you.

Beyond this, there's always the chance to start an electronics design company. As I wrote earlier, getting into electronics doesn't require a lot of capital, tools are already out there and free, and with freelancing sites like Elance.com/Freelancer.com you could always reach out to the world.

How do you design without a knowledge of its workings? ECE takes care of all of that.

Or are you talking about just the outer design and aesthetics?
Yeah I am talking of outer designs. Like a designer who designs the iphone doesn't make its circuits. I want to be that designer. I have nothing to do with circuits, softwares etc...

Thanks for ur replies..

Yeah I am talking of outer designs. Like a designer who designs the iphone doesn't make its circuits. I want to be that designer. I have nothing to do with circuits, softwares etc...

Thanks for ur replies..
You mustn't look at Engineering then, go and do Arts and become a product designer or something like that.

ECE if electronics interest you
CSE if coding interests you

CSE = coding is a misconception. "Coding" is just a tool which even mechanical engineers are expected to know these days. Sure, CS students in general use programming languages more than others, but in the industry the lines are blurred. Pure computer scientists can do their work without any programming at all and mostly require a good mathematical background. If you have a CS/CSE degree and all you've learned from those 4 years is coding, then you've wasted your time.

cse is a subject that u can pass with good marks even if u dont understand anything.....while ee,ece even good students find it hard to score good marks....i have seen cse students who dont understand any theory and memorised all programs pass with good marks

Back