User Guides Electronic Music Production Made EASY

Creating electronic music might seem scary to some folks with the multiple DAWs, Synthesizers and Virtual Instruments, and MIDI controllers you may need. What if I told you that the easiest way for you to create EM without breaking the bank was to simply get a Teensy 4.1 and use your crappy old computer or even your android phone? Sounds fun right?

Most music enthusiasts may not have heard of the Dirtywave M8 - its a portable tracker sequencer and synth. It's a handy little device that can be used to create some incredible tracks, is feature packed, and comparable to modern DAWs within reason. The device itself is built by a single individual, retails around 599$ on pre-order, and is almost always sold out. The amazing thing about the creator is that he made the firmare public and usable on Teensy 4.1 boards. Check out the Dirtywave discord for more details on the origin story.
Now I do have Ableton Live and I find it very user friendly - but I was curious to see what the Headless M8 could do. While there is a slight learning curve, the ease of making music with this is what made me fall in love with the device. Your skills of playing classic games on PC are transferable to the music production process. In fact you can even use your xbox controller or gamepad to connect and traverse the UI.

What do you need to build the Dirtywave M8 Headless?
  1. Teensy 4.1 Development Board
  2. An SD card(some recommended ones listed here)
  3. Any PC/laptop/Android Device
  4. USB Type-A to Micro-USB cable
  5. A cool 3D printed case for the Teensy board(optional, suggestions 1 & 2)

Firmware and set-up guide here.

What does the UI look like? Here is a generative track I created using some tutorials off YouTube.

What does the final product look like? This tiny device that you can carry in your pocket and simply plug into any device, even control it using a web-browser to further remove install dependencies.
headlessm8.jpg

Last edited:
Back