Laptops eMachines Build Quality

MHG

Adept
I'm gonna go check out and mostly buy an eMachines 20K budget laptop for my dad tomorrow since this is a hell lot more VFM than a netbook for normal not-much-gaming kind of productivity use. Before making this purchase I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing.

So how is the build quality and durability of eMachines ? I think the particular model I am looking for is called EM775 or something and has PDC T4300 or T4400 CPU options and 250GB or 160GB HDD and 1GB RAM.

Another thing about this brand is the availablity in SP Road. Dealers seem enthusiastic about it and I am able to get quite a few freebie goodies on buying this...

if you mean eMachines e275 then my cousin has it & I found the build quality & performance quite good

just needs more RAM

emachines is an acer brand--has good build quality and acer will provide the after sales service.

MHG said:
I'm gonna go check out and mostly buy an eMachines 20K budget laptop for my dad tomorrow since this is a hell lot more VFM than a netbook for normal not-much-gaming kind of productivity use. Before making this purchase I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing.

So how is the build quality and durability of eMachines ? I think the particular model I am looking for is called EM775 or something and has PDC T4300 or T4400 CPU options and 250GB or 160GB HDD and 1GB RAM.

Another thing about this brand is the availablity in SP Road. Dealers seem enthusiastic about it and I am able to get quite a few freebie goodies on buying this...

Do a Google search with keyword "Acer emachines <model no> review" and you will get many reviews. Since those guys review a lot of laptops, you will be able to get a comparative picture.
Most of us have had access to or have used not used lots of laptops extensively. But those sites which review laptops have used a lot of laptops from different manufacturers and so will be able to point out where Acer is skimping on money.

BTW dont forget to post a review or atleast your thought on the build quality of the lappy after you get it.

Udit said:
if you mean eMachines e275 then my cousin has it & I found the build quality & performance quite good

just needs more RAM

275 ? You sure ? I think All eMachine laptops in India are EM7xx in model number.

Can you compare it with another laptop for build quality ? Like Dell Inspirion 14/15, Acer 5738 Series, and normal Compaq Laptops ?

As for RAM, I can manage because Windows XP (for my dad) and ArchLinux 64bit KDE (for me) never cross 1GB usage... Besides I will mostly add an extra GB if I get a good bargain on the price.

H2O said:

Issues I find with this:

1. Less than half the processing power - single core 1.4 compared to dual core 2.2.

2. Microscopic screen compared to the 15.6" on eMachines.

3. 25% higher cost which is above my budget of 20k plus taxes.

Also I don't think it would be justified comparing these with Netbooks. Since Netbooks provide a far better battery life and if you travel and cant carry your charger around every where Netbook would be a better option.

Ofcourse I am justified in comparing it with a netbook because shopkeepers keep thrusting EEEPCs towards me whenever I ask for a 20k laptop and I am sick of telling them that an atom delivers quarter the performance of a PDC T4300/T4400. I want the best bang for my 20 grands and battery life is not an issue as long as I get atleast 2 hours (its the max duration of a regular power cut in my area).

hotshot05 said:
Do a Google search with keyword "Acer emachines <model no> review" and you will get many reviews. Since those guys review a lot of laptops, you will be able to get a comparative picture.

Most of us have had access to or have used not used lots of laptops extensively. But those sites which review laptops have used a lot of laptops from different manufacturers and so will be able to point out where Acer is skimping on money.

The Indian version seems quite different from the versions I find online and so are the configurations. Here there are many different weird configs.

So I asked if someone already bought this thing.

BTW dont forget to post a review or atleast your thought on the build quality of the lappy after you get it.

Hell yeah. Expect a detailed review of every nook and corner of this laptop :hap2:

update: turns out it IS e275 and not EM775...

OK finished buying an Acer eMachines e725 (this is the correct model number).

Package Contents:

1. eMachines e725 with 1GB DDR2 RAM, T4400 2.2GHz Dual Core CPU with 1MB L2 cache, 160GB 5400RPM HDD, 15.6" 720p widescreen LCD Display, dual speakers, card reader, wifi, keyboard with numpad.

2. Laptop Bag from Acer

3. 3-fan laptop cooling pad with blue LEDs which looks AWESOME and does its job decently.

4. Frontech 800 DPI USB Mouse - avg company but product does job well again

5. Zebronics Headphone with Mic - same as above. Sounds average but managable.

6. Charger and AC Adapter

7. Reliance NetConnect Wireless Broadband Modem worth Rs. 3,500 - this thing is up for sale already since I don't need it

Net price paid: Rs. 22,725/-

Place Bought: Sahara Computech Pvt Ltd, SP Road, Bangalore.

I think its a decent deal for a spot purchase.

MHG said:
OK finished buying an Acer eMachines e725 (this is the correct model number).

Package Contents:

1. eMachines e725 with 1GB DDR2 RAM, T4400 2.2GHz Dual Core CPU with 1MB L2 cache, 160GB 5400RPM HDD, 15.6" 720p widescreen LCD Display, dual speakers, card reader, wifi, keyboard with numpad.

2. Laptop Bag from Acer

3. 3-fan laptop cooling pad with blue LEDs which looks AWESOME and does its job decently.

4. Frontech 800 DPI USB Mouse - avg company but product does job well again

5. Zebronics Headphone with Mic - same as above. Sounds average but managable.

6. Charger and AC Adapter

7. Reliance NetConnect Wireless Broadband Modem worth Rs. 3,500 - this thing is up for sale already since I don't need it

Net price paid: Rs. 22,725/-

Place Bought: Sahara Computech Pvt Ltd, SP Road, Bangalore.

I think its a decent deal for a spot purchase.

How is the build quality of the laptop?

If possible post a detailed review of the laptop?

I need to leave to my hostel tomorrow early in the morning with the laptop and am breaking my head trying to install an OS from the scratch with as little downloading as possible...

Don't think I will able to make a review till I am settled down a few days later with this laptop...

everything else remaining the same , the same deal here in mumbai is with a250gb hd. the 14" was with 160gb but its out of stock. i wanted 14".

Sorry for BIG delay but here is a list of comments:

The laptop overall DOES NOT feel strong enough to be handled roughly. I'm exercising exterme caution when using it.

The look is neat simple and professional and keypad comfortable. So it does feel nice to take around.

NOBODY has heard of eMachines outside tech forums. Remember it can be really cool or really embarrassing.

The default speakers SUCK. Absolutely no bass.

WiFi has stopped working a week after buying laptop. Not a good sign, its been a few months but I'm yet to locate a service center and get this fixed. I'm pissed. Didn't expect such things to happen from a so-called "robust" brand.

The keypad DOES get warm on continuous usage but then again, this is expected for all laptops. However I think users need to be careful about ensuring that the heatsink fan's air outlet is NOT covered by something or else the lappy will go KA-BOOM!

I advice all buyers to treat this like a much more powerful netbook. Compared to a netbook, this has a large screen for movies and a powerful 45nm Dual Core Intel T4400 2.2GHz CPU which does its job wonderfully well. But as far as expansion slots and memory go, this is like a netbook. But while 160GB HDD is less, its manageable if you use it with proper partitioning and keep rarely accessed stuff in DVDs or an External Drive. 1GB RAM is more than enough to run Windows XP and every linux distro I have used feels comfortable with this, even when running GIMP and editing an 8ft by 20ft image. I guess Windows 7 should be able to run in this for normal usage but then again, I personally couldn't care less :D

I'm unimpressed, or more closely, royally pissed off by the fact that my WiFi is not working. I don't use wifi, and most likely wouldn't be needing it during the tenure of this particular laptop. And even if I include the cost of a USB hub (Rs. 500) and an USB WiFi Dongle (Rs. 1000) the laptop still turns out to be VFM. But at the same time, I'm still pissed. And once I find out where the service center is, I'm gonna blast the guys...

Anyway, I guess with the right maintenance this laptop can last me nearly 4 years. But still...

Back