Storage Solutions Enable AHCI (for Intel) after installing OS

deathvirus_me

Skilled
May 27, 2006
Kolkata, India
Well , many of use here wanted to try out AHCI for their SATA drives , but are stuck coz they didn't enable AHCI before installing the OS :( . Well , here u go ; hope this guide helps u get what u rightfully deserve :cool2: . For this u just need the following :

• minimum of 2 SATA drives
  • mobo with JMicron SATA Controller , mode set to ATA

Download the driver from here : Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Now , extract the files contained in the package using the -A command switch , for example : "iata76_enu.exe -a -pc:\intel"

I'm going to use a P5B Deluxe for this guide . In my case i have my two SATA drives configured as shown in the picture :

p5bdlx_def.JPG

Now , what u need to do :

• Connect the disk with the OS to the JMicron SATA port
  • Connect the 2nd disk to the SATA1 port of the mobo (i.e. in most common cases the first SATA port)
3989_tsxc1
3989_tsxc1
p5bdlx_chng.JPG

Now , simply go to the bios , and set the controller to AHCI from SATA ; save , exit and boot into the OS . Now when u boot into the OS , a new hardware will be found (the disk connected to the SATA port) , and windows will ask for the necessary drivers , which u've extracted earlier to ur path (here "c:\intel\...")

For Windows XP 32 bit , the folder should be "Driver" , and so on . Now let the process continue , till it says u to restart for the device to work properly . Do so , and this time simply revert to ur original config. i.e both the drives connected to the SATA port . No need to change anything in the BIOS . After u boot back into the OS , drivers will be installed again for the new drive (the drive with the OS) ; and thats all . U should be running the drives in AHCI mode , without having to reinstall the OS .. :hap2:

For Intel ICH8 controller : ICH8 does not support AHCI function under Windows XP, however AHCI function can be enabled if under VISTA with VISTA built in driver. More advanced version of ICH8 family chipsets such as ICH8R, ICH8DH and ICH8DO do not have such limitation.
If you want to try installing Windows for in system that has ICH8 you might want to try this when you install your system. It should work perfectly for ICH8R, ICH8DH and ICH8DO users.

For creating Windows installation disk (this should work at least in XP, this example is for ICH8R and it might work for ICH8) copy iaahci.cat, iastor.cat, iaStor.sys, iaahci.inf, iastor.inf and TXTSETUP.OEM in your floppy disk. Then create UNATTEND.TXT file and copy text bellow inside that file and place it in your floppy.

Code:
[MassStorageDrivers]

"Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM 

[OEMBootFiles]

iaStor.inf

iaStor.sys

iaStor.cat

Txtsetup.oem
If you have different ICH then replace Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller with your ICH name. Check .inf for those names and then just copy/paste it inside quotation marks. If you do not know which one you motherboard has then try Google.
Have tried it and it works fine . You might not notice a "drastic" performance improvement , but sequential read/write speed does improve , and the drives do seem more responsive . definitely worth the few minutes ;) . Hope this guide was helpful .

Reactions: 2 people