User Guides Enabling AMD AHCI on Windows 7 systems with

I didnt know of this till today.
this thing rocks. i am getting read/writes of excess of 100MB/s on my 4yr old 80GB itachi and the 500GB WD!

be sure AHCI is disabled in your BIOS

1. Goto start.
2. Type regedit.
3. Click on regedit.exe
4. Follow this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>system>CurrentControlSet>services>msahci

1.png

Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

2.png

Open system
3.png

Open currentcontrolset
4.png

Open services
5.png

Open/Select msahci
6.png

Select start
7.png

Right click and select modify
8.png

Put in the value 0 in the selected region
9.png

Press OK and exit regedit.

5. Reboot into BIOS.
6. You will find AHCI under SATA configuration or something like that.
7. Enable AHCI mode on one group. Connect all HDDs to this group(enable other groups if necessary). Note Optical Drives may/may not work with AHCI.
8. Save BIOS settings and reboot into Windows.
9. Windows will ask to restart to apply changes. Do EET!!
10. After rebooting, goto your motherboard product page and download the latest AHCI/RAID driver.
11. Will probably be in a zip file. extract it to some C:\temp (say)
12. Open Device Manager.
13. Click on the IDE/ATAPI controlers.
14. Select the AHCI controller ( it will be named AHCI<something>)
15. Right click, select update drivers
16. Select "Browse my computer for software" Option.
17. Point to the c:\temp folder which contains drivers. Press ok. Your Drivers will be automatically installed.
18. Reboot as necessary.
19. Enjoy new write Speeds.
20. Spread the love. :clap:

Actually, when installing W7, you should have this option enabled. Saves you from doing all these hassles ;)

But anyways, very nice article, thanks for posting it here.

vivek.krishnan said:
Actually, when installing W7, you should have this option enabled. Saves you from doing all these hassles ;)

But anyways, very nice article, thanks for posting it here.
true. but sometimes people have a lot of programs installed on the system. Its a pain in the ass to format and reinstall all of them. For them this is the easier way out.

and hassle? where is the hassle, i dont see it :hap5:

comparing it to reinstalling the OS this is really nothing. takes 5mins at max.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

zapout said:
I've tried this
From the Tips Box: Speeding Up Windows 7, Android-based PowerPoint Clicker, Dirt Cheap Cardboard Cable Organizers - How-To Geek

but after the tweak, the HDD's showed up as removable drive(like a pen drive) so i revert it to original setting.
then probably the SATA ports got set to forced removable type. thats not a problem. just search the BIOS for an option to revert it back. if you mention your motherboard, i can probably help you out a little more.

and i hope you didnt forget to change SATA to AHCI mode in BIOS

de.das.dude said:
true. but sometimes people have a lot of programs installed on the system. Its a pain in the ass to format and reinstall all of them. For them this is the easier way out.

and hassle? where is the hassle, i dont see it :hap5:

comparing it to reinstalling the OS this is really nothing. takes 5mins at max.

then probably the SATA ports got set to forced removable type. thats not a problem. just search the BIOS for an option to revert it back. if you mention your motherboard, i can probably help you out a little more.

and i hope you didnt forget to change SATA to AHCI mode in BIOS

Yes, quite true, did not think of that.

my motherboard is Biostar ta785ge 128M.

it's not just the drive removal thing this time, now bios taking ages to load after the manufacturer screen, and the browsing through Bios is like slideshow(when i press the arrow keys to move around the Bios, whole page goes blank then after that new options show up)

demonic said:
^^^that's because ahci is an amd specific feature,and ur mobo is intel!!

Nope, it will be simply called something else.

Revolution said:
I could not find any AHCI option at my mobo BIOS.

Got Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L mobo.

Check if there is an option called SATA mode / Enable Native mode / IDE mode, something like that.

I have this option in my 3 yr old laptop!

Found SATA mode option at my mobo BIOS.

There r few option like Disable,Auto,Enchant,Combine and Non-Combile but no Enable option. :S

So,Which should I chose ?

The South Bridge (ich7) on your mobo (GA-G31M-S2L) is not having AHCI feature. If it is ICH7DH or ICH7R you would be having AHCI.

Revolution said:
Found SATA mode option at my mobo BIOS.
There r few option like Disable,Auto,Enchant,Combine and Non-Combile but no Enable option. :S
So,Which should I chose ?

:rofl: Sounds like a WOW Edition of the BIOS! With magical options!

Anyways, what setting is it at? If Disable, its IDE mode. Auto means enabled. As for the other options, :evil:

Back