Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

heman

Disciple
d Software and Activision announce Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, a class-based multiplayer shooter in the works at Splash Damage to debut at E3. The game will be built on a new technology from id called MegaTextureâ„¢ "that crunches millions of polygons and a gigabyte-scale texture into a single, seamless and un-tiled landscape with unique detail down to the square inch or the un-obscured distant horizon" (though the Splash Damage Website clarifies this is on top of the DOOM 3 engine).
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=56993
screenshot
http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/etqw/20050516/edf_base_scramble.shtml

looks awesome

hmm..though the screenie looks good i see nothing special in that. See the helmet is not completely smooth. Hit by bullets maybe ;)

thanx for the info on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars..:)

lol microanalysis wont get you anywhere.
Every game has a 1000 faults if you look at each frame with a magnifying glass.

What that screenshot does is prove all doom3tech naysayers wrong by showing it can handle outdoor locales amazingly well while still being unbeatable in the indoors department.

wow this certainly came out of nowhere, and this isn't even id's next engine.

^ ^

Yup, you wont notice that during game play ;)
but need more screenes of outdoor maps, the one available looks amazing..

They look like more of an artwork then screenshots to me, nevertheless Doom 3 engine is awesome in indoor rendering, but yet I feel overally the Farcry Crytech engine has an advantage. Maybe thats because I may be biased with Pixel shading capabilities..

doom3tech can do anything farcry, hl2 can do shaderwise including hdr + the completely unified lighting engine no other game boasts of (not even riddick).

Look at these 2 new released shots, the outdoors are looking better than farcry to me, the 1st literally feels alive with the onscreen action and 2nd shows off the excellent outdoors in the backdrop.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/37085

The outdoor are bland apart from the player and vehicle models. And I yet have to see the water effects of HL2 and Farcry replicated in openGL

That's because there's no vegetation, I think it looks excellent for the kind of feel they were aiming for.
Imagine farcry without all the vegetation, wouldn't look as good as this.

Water effects, I have seen some attempts by mere community mappers, it looks good. Not hl2 quality but reflections, refractions etc. were present.

here is some info from wikipedia

Classes

Global Defense Force

* Soldier — carries heavy weapons.

* Medic — heals and revives comrades.

* Field Ops — drops ammo, calls in artillery and other field support.

* Engineer — drops landmines, repairs and destroys constructions and vehicles.

* Ranger — carries a sniper rifle, can hack strogg constructions using his PDA.

Strogg

* Tank (name might change) — carries heavy weapons.

* Meditek — supplies his teammates with stroyent, gained from corpses, that serves as health and ammunition for the stroggs.

* Oppresor — calls in field support.

* Constructor — repairs vehicles using an automatic drone, constructs and destroys constructions.

* Infiltrator — carries a railgun for sniping, can stroggify a fallen GDF corpse and transfer his mind into it to use the corpse. This equals disguising from Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Weapons

Global Defense Force

* N93 Machinegun or GPMG (Soldier) — can be mounted by a soldier and made usable for other classes.

* N72 LAW Rocket (Soldier)

* N5 Machine Pistol (Field Ops)

* N22 Shotgun (Engineer)

* Land Mines (Engineer)

* Proximity Mines (Engineer)

* N80 Assault Rifle – scope or grenade (Medic)

* N38 Sniper Rifle (Ranger)

* Smoke Grenades (Ranger)

Strogg

* Lightning Pistol (Opressor)

* Hyperblaster (Tank)

* Obliterator (Tank)

* Bosonic Orb (Tank)

* Railgun (Infiltrator)

* Biolectric Pinch Bomb (Infiltrator)

* Nailgun (Constructor)

* EMP Charge (Constructor)

Strogg weapons do not need to be reloaded, but they run hot while shooting.

Vehicles

Global Defense Force

* Husky Quad Bike — allows one soldier to travel around quickly.

* Badger Truck — carries a driver, a gunner, and a passenger.

* Trojan APC — can carry up to 5 soldiers, can supply nearby units with ammo, is amphibious.

* Titan Tank — a tank, carries a driver, a gunner, and a cannon operator.

* Anasi Gyrocopter — a helicopter without rotor, handles like a helicopter or like a jet, carries a pilot and a gunner.

Strogg

* Icarus Hover Pack — allows to fly for a short period of time.

* Hog Truck — can use a powerful ramming attack.

* Desecrator Hovertank — hovering tank capable of crossing every terrain, carries a driver, a gunner and a cannon operator.

* Goliath Heavy Walker — huge walking powerful turret, carries one driver and one cannon operator.

* Hornet Flyer — an aircraft using anti-gravity thrusters to carry one pilot and one gunner. More maneuverable than the Gyrocopter, but is a very easy target for heat-seeking missiles when flying high due to the high heat the anti-gravity generators produce.

Wheels, ammo packs, and other objects can be shot to disable a vehicle.

Every vehicle can be fully controlled by one player, but is more powerful when controlled by more players. For example, the tanks' and the walker's drivers can fire the main gun in a moderate angle around the direction that the tank is facing; but it can only fire in a full 360° when one cannon operator is onboard.

Whether or not one faction can control the enemy's vehicles has not yet been decided.

source-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_Territory:_Quake_Wars

Back