PC Peripherals Erratic Behavior by Liteon LH-20 A1P and LG GSA 4167B

Hi,

Recently, I had a forced upgrade :p.

Current config reads:
C2D E7200
Gigabyte GA73 VM S2 (Yea I know the dual channel RAM issue :p)
2 GB of DDR 2 800 Mhz RAM
160 GB + 80 GB HDDs
and the above two (Liteon LH-20A1P writer and LG GSA 4167 B Writer - Both IDE)
All powered by a new Corsair vx450

Now, the earlier config was:
AMD 3000+
Asus A8N VM
1 GB DDR1
VIP Powersafe Gold 400W
along with the above hdds and optical drives.

A little history of my optical drives reveals that the LG writer conked off sometime in aug last year, when it started giving writing errors. So, I bought a liteon writer around that time. If i am not mistaken, its got just about a few days warranty left on it or has just gotten out of warranty :p.

I was using the LG drive as a reader as it had no issues with reading the dvds. The liteon worked fine as a writer. Now since I got my upgrades last week on sat, the LG Writer isnt getting detected by my board (which has only one IDE Port), the Liteon does get detected but it fails to read most dvds and cds either going into an endless loop trying to read the discs or showing up a blank cd writing window :S

However, after about 4-5 tries, it does sometimes read the dvds.

So, my question is, howcome the drives that worked flawlessly on my old system, isnt working on this one. If the drive is kaput, which is what I think it is, as I dont expect the mobo to be faulty and the powersupply has plenty of juice in it, then which SATA drive do I go in for? However, as of now, I would hope there is some other issue than a hardware failure involved here!!

PS: I did try cleaning the lens using a cd lens cleaner, reinstalling the drivers, multiple power connectors from the PSU, multiple IDE cables, old and new, multiple jumper settings on the drives as well as no jumpers on them too.

Any more suggestions and a timely reply would be welcome!

Thanks.

XTerminator said:
Hi,

Recently, I had a forced upgrade :p.

Current config reads:

C2D E7200

Gigabyte GA73 VM S2 (Yea I know the dual channel RAM issue :p)

2 GB of DDR 2 800 Mhz RAM

160 GB + 80 GB HDDs

and the above two (Liteon LH-20A1P writer and LG GSA 4167 B Writer - Both IDE)

All powered by a new Corsair vx450

Now, the earlier config was:

AMD 3000+

Asus A8N VM

1 GB DDR1

VIP Powersafe Gold 400W

along with the above hdds and optical drives.

A little history of my optical drives reveals that the LG writer conked off sometime in aug last year, when it started giving writing errors. So, I bought a liteon writer around that time. If i am not mistaken, its got just about a few days warranty left on it or has just gotten out of warranty :p.

I was using the LG drive as a reader as it had no issues with reading the dvds. The liteon worked fine as a writer. Now since I got my upgrades last week on sat, the LG Writer isnt getting detected by my board (which has only one IDE Port), the Liteon does get detected but it fails to read most dvds and cds either going into an endless loop trying to read the discs or showing up a blank cd writing window :S

However, after about 4-5 tries, it does sometimes read the dvds.

So, my question is, howcome the drives that worked flawlessly on my old system, isnt working on this one. If the drive is kaput, which is what I think it is, as I dont expect the mobo to be faulty and the powersupply has plenty of juice in it, then which SATA drive do I go in for? However, as of now, I would hope there is some other issue than a hardware failure involved here!!

PS: I did try cleaning the lens using a cd lens cleaner, reinstalling the drivers, multiple power connectors from the PSU, multiple IDE cables, old and new, multiple jumper settings on the drives as well as no jumpers on them too.

Any more suggestions and a timely reply would be welcome!

Thanks.

oye?? what drivers ji? dont need no drivers for optical drives :p

ur basically running with two drives connected to the same channel now na?

try connecting just one drive at a time and see if they work. mostly they should :)

ps-weekend ko free? nice!

sTALKEr said:
oye?? what drivers ji? dont need no drivers for optical drives :p

ur basically running with two drives connected to the same channel now na?
try connecting just one drive at a time and see if they work. mostly they should :)
ps-weekend ko free? nice!

Well, I am sorry for not being very specific, I was referring to the mobo drivers incase they were responsible for something. Drivers for optical drives, now that sounds fun, maybe I should give that a try :eek:hyeah: :bleh:

Yes, I want both to work at the same time. The LG drive gets detected when alone and so does the liteon. Incase both are connected, the Liteon gets detected only.

But even if I compromise and use one drive, the liteon, just because it writes, it still isnt reading my older written dvds which work flawlessly when i just connect only the LG drive :bleh: I aint sure what the problem is. I have a feeling its a jumper settings issue, but i tried all combos, apart from setting both drives to master or slave :p (generally its master-slave config for the drives.)

Any more suggestions??

Haha, who said I am free? Not my fortune to be free on weekends either!! :(

Could be a faulty IDE cable dude.Try another IDE cable in Master - Slave config.If it aint the cable then it could be the OS.Also chk for bent pins on the IDE connectors on any of the drives. Possibly,the Liteon drive might have bent pin(s) frm wat uve written in ur last post.

Lite-On's have very strange behaviour.Mine just died 4 days back & guess what it was working fine a day before that.Failed to read any DVD's & the light would just keep blinking.Strange these drives die exactly after their warranty is over.I disposed it off & got myself a Samsung SH-223F drive.Just for isolating the issue, try it in another PC if you can.If it dies there too then get it RMA'd ASAP.

Back