Linux Error 13:Invalid or Unsupported Executable format

Hey guys, this is happening on a friends lappy.. FC4 boots fine, but I am getting that error while trying to boot windows, she says everything was working fine till yest night.. :S

grub.conf says
Code:
boot=/dev/sda
title windows
rootnoverify(hd0,0)
chainloader +1

fdisk says

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1275 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS
so I am guessing thats where win xp is.. how to fix?

yeah I looked around on the net, according to fdisk sda1 only has windows right?

so rootnoverify(hd0,0) should be fine? so thats not an issue

then the map thing is not needed coz the lapop has only one hard disk

so what to do?

whats the least hassle-free way of getting windows to work now?

perhaps doing the fixboot and fixmbr commands (google for it) after booting off the windows CD which should fix windows but wipe out grub. then you can recover grub (google for it again) to boot back into linux :D

Weird thing, I boot from win xp cd, it says booting from CD press any key to continue.. then it says setup is configuring blah blah.. and then the screen goes blank, the disk stops spinning... thats it.. waited quite long.. tried 2 different install disks..

will reinstalling grub only help?

touchwood - hope it isnt a disk crash... how old is the lappy? any chance the BIOS battery failed causing some settings to change in there? like LBA versus normal CHS mode for the HDD?

you mentioned FC4 - that is an old release, you could try booting off a new linux "live CD" to see if you can first backup any important files to external HDD before attempting anything further...

then go ahead and install a new release of linux distro of your choice...

lappy should be 3 yrs old(Compaq Presario v5000 it says), but FC4 was installed only last week(!).. thats coz comps in coll lab still run on FC4 and everyone think linux=FC4 :O

hmmm, I guess I will boot a newer version of linux tomo and try.. any other pointers till then?

i cant think of anything else ATM other than checking BIOS settings if they got changed, seeing its a 3 yr old model... hope others will chip in with ideas... good luck

Back