Etihad or Qatar - Which flight to choose?

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
I will be booking return tickets soon for myself, wife and my 3 year old son, for a trip to US (Washington DC) from Bangalore, sometime in September-October. I will be flying economy. I will have to choose between Etihad and Qatar airways. Both have almost similar timings, and similar price of tickets. Which one would be better comfort and service wise? This will be our first international travel, and we hope to avoid any unpleasant experiences. Anyone with any personal experience flying either of these?

I've traveled in Qatar and in Lufthansa... Felt Qatar is little better even though both is 787 dreamliner. Qatar was cheaper as well compared Lufthansa, but that was not problem for me as this was employer expense :), but still I chose Qatar. Food also was fine. Last I traveled with my family 4 yr son and 1yr daughter. Only problem was, too long bus travel in Qatar terminal where the change of flight, but I guess they opened bigger terminal now?

I have used both and they are both quite good. Etihad had slightly better food. Choose the one with more covienient flying times for you, that'd be much more important.

Edit didn't read the similar timing part. I'd go with Etihad.

Look at the flight information for aircraft information and check on seatguru for the same, as far as which would give you a better experience then both would be pretty much on par, possibility of flight from Qatar to US being nicer is high I guess given the number of people that travel between the two locations.

The Bangalore - Doha leg on the Qatar is an Airbus A330-300; Doha to Washington and back is on a Boeing 777-300ER; the return leg from Doha to Bangalore is on a Dreamliner.

Etihad on the other hand, flies an Airbus A320 from Bangalore to Abu Dhabi on both trips; and a Boeing 777-200LR for the Abu Dhabi - Washington leg both ways.

@smnrock People on various forums are still complaining of the bus ride in the new Doha airport too.
@Rave I read somewhere that Seatguru's seating plans are out of date. There is a doubt about economy seating plans. Some say that Qatar and Etihad both have a 3-3-3 seating arrangement. Some say Qatar has a 3-4-3 arrangement. The Etihad site seems to point to a 2-4-2 arrangement. Not sure which one to rely on. Any pointers?

when you book the seat it will show the seat map so that would give you an idea about the arrangement, I flew on an Malaysian Airlines 777 and absolutely hated it, felt too cramped and the entertainment units on them where absolutely pathetic

MH and CX has pathetic economy seats! Why not take the Emirates route, one best rated in service and class! Guessing the pricing is the factor?

If you want more luggage allowance, then choose Emirates/Etihad - they allow 30kg instead of 23kg on check ins on Qatar. Their food is a bit better as well. Service in Qatar is pretty good, especially after Doha. Bangalore to Doha/Dubai/Abu Dhabi is gonna be pretty much the same regardless of the carrier.

Emirates is out of the equation because of the ticket prices (almost 20k more than these two). Not much worried about baggage allowances. I want a comfortable trip, especially for my son and that is pretty much it.

Even in qatar its 30Kg limit, even for childrens ticket. I didnt feel bad about the bus travel when i went alone, its well organised one. But it was bit of difficult when i went with family as kids were in sleepy mode :(

Edit: 30Kg is for except US and its 23 x 2 for US!

Qatar all the way. Nothing else please. Royal treatment even for their economy class. and also please make sure if possible get into one of their newer jets. better seat space.

Qatar all the way. Nothing else please. Royal treatment even for their economy class. and also please make sure if possible get into one of their newer jets. better seat space.

Yeah. More inclined towards Qatar after checking some reviews elsewhere too. About the bold part, how is that possible? Isn't it a matter of luck?

Yeah. More inclined towards Qatar after checking some reviews elsewhere too. About the bold part, how is that possible? Isn't it a matter of luck?

To be honest, I cannot say this for sure.

There used to be one guy in our travel dept, I casually asked him if he can avoid getting me the A333 ones. He came back to me and asked if 777 or 787 is ok for you. Dunno if it was sarcastic or not, I did get the 787 flight. This happened twice. But then another new guy came and start handling our BU and when I asked, he said its upto airlines. Which to be honest is how it is. So I dunno. :(.

But then again, My niece wanted to travel in double decker plane during their vacation. :) :). A380. They booked a ticket like that from Singapore to HK. or something like that, somewhere in china. :S

Back