EU forces Apple to allow sideloading Apps in IOS

Article 7 of the new Digital Markets Act (linked above), states that a gatekeeper shall allow the basic functionalities of its number-independent interpersonal communications to be interoperable with that of third-party services.

So, this means iMessage, WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, etc., will have to allow users to communicate across apps to send messages, and make voice calls and video calls. That should be interesting.
Oh !

This new EU law could be a real game changer, Apple has always played the security card to defend its policy about the App Store, claiming that allowing apps from third-party sources could make iPhones vulnerable to security risks. This argument never really made sense, since Apple has always allowed users to sideload apps on macOS, somehow that's secure, but iOS isn't? The real reason why the Cupertino company didn't want to allow iOS apps from third-party sources is quite simple, it earns a sweet 30% commission from every single transaction that is made through the App Store.
Figures....

USB C may not come, as apple said they will comply but nothing about usb c. Probably they will go wireless charging/no port route which complies with EU
It is illogical to do so within the EU deadline. They will get sued in a lot more countries for not providing a wireless charger which will only add to Apple's cost. Type-C is the easy way out to meet the regulations, especially as they have already done so for the iPads and have an ecosystem around it.

Wireless may happen later if wireless chargers become more prominent and more importantly, a lot more efficient.

I agree, I dont think we are going to see wireless-only charging phones anytime soon. The technology isn't there yet.
Not just in terms of charging speed and efficiency but in terms of a functional alternative being there for things like charging in cars.
Now Apple being Apple, they could of course bring a dongle for that but I don't think even they would do that.. at least I hope they dont.

Oops my bad, I was thinking something else.
More so along these lines, like a wireless charging pad that plugs into the car: https://www.amazon.in/JE-Wireless-Charging-Compatible-QI-Enabled/dp/B07ZJ18R7G?th=1
I think bringing car charger and all won't be an issue. It's just a charger. You already have car chargers which support Qualcomm QuickCharge, no reason Apple can't make one which supports Magsafe.

As for me, I'm only worried about the fact that once Apple does it, other companies will follow suit, just like in the case of headphone jack. And then we'll go back to the days of entirely incompatible chargers.

EU's rules should have already stipulated that all wireless chargers should be compatible with each other, even if they don't support fast charging on other company's phones. That would ensure that at least the basic connectivity would get standardised.

I wouldn't be surprised if apple plebs beg apple to make a usb c to lightning to usb c adapter so that they can continue to buy "superior cables and adapter" by donating to apple

As good as sideloading is, I still feel the simplicity of vetted apps on the app store had its benefits in keeping devs interested in developing games and apps for iOS since they couldnt be sideloaded without a lot of effort and still be unreliable.
This will definitely be affected by the new policy.

He's gotta point.

Yeah, govt should not be mandating the type of port. That has been the primary argument against it since the start.

They do it to Apple today they will do it to others tomorrow. That is how license Raj begins

I don't like the idea of no port though. The fastest data transfer is wired. Wireless is much slower.

As good as sideloading is, I still feel the simplicity of vetted apps on the app store had its benefits in keeping devs interested in developing games and apps for iOS since they couldnt be sideloaded without a lot of effort and still be unreliable.
This will definitely be affected by the new policy.
you mean overcharging for some apps or forcing people into apple apps by stopping others from sideloading the app they want...this should end apple's complete control of anti-competetive practices by stopping people from using the apps they want...apple has banned or made many questionable choices in the past to lock people into paying them money...read about epic and many other streaming cases against apple...

Yeah, govt should not be mandating the type of port. That has been the primary argument against it since the start.

They do it to Apple today they will do it to others tomorrow. That is how license Raj begins
Instead of mandating, govt should put those 3 trillion GST categories to use.

If anyone wants to use antiquated charging technology, GST is 28% for them. Only 1 year paltry warranty? that's 10% surcharge. No updates after 2 years? cess is only 15% for ya cutie.

That's how a vehicle like fortuner (cost 20L at factory) goes on to sale and is billed 50L to the politician. Politician is happy, Toyota is happy and govt is happy.

A port is a must for Apple. Without one their Apple Music lossless and Hires music will fall flat. Their Airplay still does not transport the full potential of their music.

USB C seems to be the cheapest and the most practical way forward for now for Apple.

MaSh

A port is a must for Apple. Without one their Apple Music lossless and Hires music will fall flat. Their Airplay still does not transport the full potential of their music.

USB C seems to be the cheapest and the most practical way forward for now for Apple.

MaSh
Like Apple cares about what happens to a small minority of users who care about that.

Back