EVDO V/s 3G

medpal

Resident Medic
Skilled
With 3G prices slated to spiral down and BSNL launching good 3G plans I have few questions in my mind.

What is better in terms of performance and stability? EVDO or 3G?

3G definitely gives better upload speeds which are horrible with EVDO.

Does sim card slot in EVDO modem come into play with 3G?

Is it advisable to switch from EVDO to 3G?

I am old customer of EVDO from BSNL, I am satisfied with download speeds, but upload speeds prevent me from using torrents to the fullest.

any light in this regard will be appreciated. TIA

medpal, me too an EVDO user for more than two years. But Download speeds arent great for me. Upload on the other hand is pathetic. Looking for a solution. MTS with their 999 unlimited 3.1mbps looks good.

I used evdo for 2yrs.

Never got good speed from it.

Just tried 3G and yes according to me its worth it!

No the sim card slot in evdo modem will not work with 3G sim.

If i am not mistaken, EVDO is based on CDMA technology, while its GSM platform for 3G. So switching is not possible. A friend has the EVDO, and constant connectivity is a big issue with him. It depends a lot on the distance between the tower and your place. But DL speeds are awesome when range is full (around 2.5-3 Mbps)

The biggest plus point for the EVDO has to be the tariff, its 600 odd bucks for the unlimited plan. The stick retails for around 2.5K.

I have had very good speeds almost always barring a few days in between when there was some technical problem with their tower.

I constantly get 80 - 90 KBPS on private trackers and 60 - 70 KBPS on public trackers, HTTP downloads touch 110 KBPS if the server is good.

So I am not dissatisfied with their service, only con is uploads.

Back