Everything About BSNL EvDO Data Card

Gaurish

ex-Mod

What is Evdo Data Card?

In Simple terms, EvDo is a Technology which works on CDMA networks and it provides high speed Internet access on Mobile. it can also be termed as Mobile Broadband since you don't have stick at one place, you can move freely move and still be able to check your e-mail as long as you are in coverage area. Just like you do with GRPS service with your mobile phone

What is the cost of BSNL EVDO service?

BSNL EVDO is an unlimited bandwidth service, which means you can use as much as you want, there are no data limits on the service. you just have to pay the monthly rental of Rs.550/-. its Truly Unlimited service, no extra costs

I knew about this when it was lauched I dropped the plan of getting this as it did not offer All India roaming like other networks give eg. Reliance though they are slower than EVdo

senthildent said:
I knew about this when it was lauched I dropped the plan of getting this as it did not offer All India roaming like other networks give eg. Reliance though they are slower than EVdo

Agree, But no other service providers charge double monthly rental comparing to BSNL.

Like tata has an Unlimited plan for 1500/- Pm with speed upto 144kbps. whereas for Bsnl is 550/- pm for speeds upto 2.4mbps.

Gaurish said:
Agree, But no other service providers charge double monthly rental comparing to BSNL.

Like tata has an Unlimited plan for 1500/- Pm with speed upto 144kbps. whereas for Bsnl is 550/- pm for speeds upto 2.4mbps.

Tat's Unlimited 1500 plan is on their HSIA network - 2.4 Mbps and not 144 Kbps. But BSNL is really cheap at 550. But how good are their speeds in terms of consistency ? Am using Tata's Photon and at my place, downloads average 180+ KBPS.

Are you sure about HSIA network & given speeds?

as on here is given 153kbps.

Also how come they are offering a 3G service without getting a license for it?

If reported speeds are true, i may also be interested:D

@Freaky

Speeds on Bsnl are not consistent.

At my Home i got speeds between 300-700kbps

and at friends place about 1.2mbps

Overall, its good for browsing purpose as pages load very quickly.

Plug 2 Surf is different. The thing is, this HSIA thing show up if you try and navigate through the website :p The link is : HSIA Photon Usb Modem. Even out here its available only on the outskirts of the city. Once you move into the city, it changes to 1x mode with a max speed of 200kbps. But Photon gives you almost full speeds most of the time. That's where BSNL has a problem. Majority don't seem to get more than 1 ~ 1.2 mbps :(

Anish said:
^ +1.. Also Vodafone's site mentions a 3G USB Modem, which will offer 3G Broadband speeds, pretty neat!

WTH !! 5.5k for the modem and 1GB cap for Rs.700 :mad:

sanjukoli said:
the HSIA thing is damm cool.When will it be available in mumbai any idea.:)

When Govt gives permission by giving 3G licenses to Company to start Commercial service.

@Freaky

Thanks for info

Indeed intresting, waiting for a full scale launch:eek:hyeah:

h4x0R said:
can we share this evdo connection with multiple pc's with the help of wifi router.

Not the normal Wi-Fi routers. There are separate 3G routers for this but they're not available here.

Freaky said:
Plug 2 Surf is different. The thing is, this HSIA thing show up if you try and navigate through the website :p The link is : HSIA Photon Usb Modem. Even out here its available only on the outskirts of the city. Once you move into the city, it changes to 1x mode with a max speed of 200kbps. But Photon gives you almost full speeds most of the time. That's where BSNL has a problem. Majority don't seem to get more than 1 ~ 1.2 mbps :(

WTH !! 5.5k for the modem and 1GB cap for Rs.700 :mad:

Monthly 1500? Damn reasonable. Only in Chennai for now though :no:

Freaky said:
Not the normal Wi-Fi routers. There are separate 3G routers for this but they're not available here.

Gaurish said:

1.Is there any other way around to connect voip phone with Evdo? with software and settings?

2. im using lappy? Right now they are offering only USB modems which one is better EVDO PCMCIA or EVDO USB?

1) don't know as i never used a VOIP phone before

2) these days, USB rules. PCMCIA is thing of past. reason being you can find a USB port on every computer and but PCMCIA port isn't present everywhere. by performance there is no difference.

Back