CPU/Mobo Excess Noise

Avtar

Adept
I don't want any smart ass answers like, "Told you not to get Pentium D" and "Pentium D" sucks and all that, it's what I can afford myself right now, so I got it. Shut it.

Any idea what the problem could be? Every time I click on "My Computer" or someone sends me an instant message or a new box pops up or I open Winamp or anything, my CPU makes excess noise for 2 seconds.

Click My Computer... WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Otherwise whrrrrrrrrrrr......

Then I click Winamp... WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Then whrrrrrrr....

What. The. ____

What could this be about?[/b]

Make sure there is no wire or anything interfering with the fan. Yeah, I know if that was the case, the sound should be constant, but give it a try.

And sheesh... Pentium D ?? You shouldnt have man !! :p :rofl:

Maybe the Pentium D detects those menial tasks as heavy load and the cpu speed bumps up just like cool and quiet on A64 and hence ramps up the fan speed.:p

When you say cpu makes noise- which part of it do you think the noise is coming from- processor hsf, psu or hdd or what?:S
Coz the cpu as in proccy is a mute/silent operator on its own.;P

Just check the Temps.. it is possible that it's the BIOS alarm. Had a similar problem..thought it was the HDD crashing..but i think its due to over heating..

what sound is this ? where is it coming from .. try to be a bit more specific.. sounds like either hdd while its being accessed or the cpu heatsink fan spinning up when its being used. in case of latter maybe go for an aftermarket heatsink with a low rpm fan

edit: you can also try restricting fan speeds but not sure if thats a good idea with that cpu :p

It's your HDD spinning up most likely to retrieve fragmented data. Maybe the HDD is heavily fragmented. Try defragmenting your HDD and let us know.

Use PerfectDisk or O&O defrag and not crappy Windows defragmenter.

Quote: I don't want any smart ass answers like, "Told you not to get Pentium D" and "Pentium D" sucks and all that, it's what I can afford myself right now, so I got it. Shut it.

Say that and what do you expect? btw there's no need to get defensive, neither aggressive. You need to work on your posting manners pal...

when the CPU speeds up so does the fan, usually while processing something heavy. but it won't speed up with a click or even 10 clicks on mundane documents etc.

You'll also have to be more specific about the source of the sound...If the sound is indeed the fan, I have a feeling the bearing might be making a noise, could be something inside the fan chassis is loose, the entire unit is epox'ied as a whole. Just try changing the heatsink (if stock) or swap out the fan.

Be nice and we'll be helpful. I've used a Pentium D too. btw they suck :p but it was all I could afford ;)

Hey that must be the HDD activity that's making all that noise. My Office PC always makes that huge WHRRRRR when I open MyComputer or any application. Although I cannot open my Office PC hence cannot pin-point the noise source... But you can...:yes:

Don't worry about Pentium D. There are many folks here that are using (or have used) the Netburst CPUs!!! (My Office PC is a P4 :bangin: )

So the hard drive on which the OS has been installed would be making that noise yeah?

It's a new 400GB HDD. It's making the noise? A new one?!

We're just suggesting possible sources for the noise. Its upto you to perhaps open the side panel and verify where the noise is coming from ;)

Atleast try guessing where exactly within your cabinet the sound is coming from if you cant open the side panel.

And yeah there are certain drives that make quite an audible amount of noise when spinning around (not that the noise means anything is wrong with it). Which drive is this?

Avtar said:
So the hard drive on which the OS has been installed would be making that noise yeah?

It's a new 400GB HDD. It's making the noise? A new one?!
Arey.:S

You tell us from where and we tell you if it's wrong or not.:p

And list out ur systems specs please.:)

vandal said:
I've used a Pentium D too. btw they suck :p but it was all I could afford ;)
Shuddup- iirc you bought it when it was 'Premium' stuff.:bleh:

Back