Excitel Broadband - Comprehensive Review - 5Mbps - SDSL - Unlimited - no FUP

I also get 30-35 mbps if the torrent's peers/seeders are local.
Yes, I witnessed that kind of a speed, recently.

By the way, this makes me pity those who are still stuck with the likes of ChorTel. I feel people in India either don't need a lot of bandwidth, or they are satisfied, even though they are being fleeced. Indians need to learn to vehemently react against this disease, known as "fair" usage policy.

Fair usage policies, more often than not, are just the ISP's way of saying this to the customer, "Hahaha, I can upgrade my infrastructure to allow each customer to freakin' breath and use the internet peacefully, but why the freakin' hell am I going to do that when most of you are dumb enough to be fleeced and do nothing about it, anyway".

My local cable network provider charges 900 per month instead of 800 for 10mbps plan as advertised by excitel. He even gives me receipts for that amount.
I have informed their customer care, they say its wrong but they are of no help in this particular case.
Is it the same with all of you ??
What could be done if its not ?

My local cable network provider charges 900 per month instead of 800 for 10mbps plan as advertised by excitel. He even gives me receipts for that amount.
I have informed their customer care, they say its wrong but they are of no help in this particular case.
Is it the same with all of you ??
What could be done if its not ?

No, the amount to be paid to the local cable operator is exactly Rs. 800/- for the 10 Mbps tariff plan and no more.

Did you avail for anything else from the cable operator, which might be attributed to the extra Rs.100/- ?

Also, haven't you asked your cable operator what the extra hundred rupees is for? And also mention if you're using your own CPE (Customer Premises Equipment) ... i.e. your own router, or did you get one from the cable operator?

They have a purple dot in the sector next to mine. Lets see if they respond to my query. Currently on airtel 65gb/month at 8-10mbps with unlimited free call at 1200/month.

They have a purple dot in the sector next to mine. Lets see if they respond to my query. Currently on airtel 65gb/month at 8-10mbps with unlimited free call at 1200/month.

Hi,

I suggest calling them directly on their new, toll-free, customer care number, which is: 1-800-419-0616, as that is probably the best way to reach them. I'm assuming you have used web methods for now.

No, the amount to be paid to the local cable operator is exactly Rs. 800/- for the 10 Mbps tariff plan and no more.

Did you avail for anything else from the cable operator, which might be attributed to the extra Rs.100/- ?

Also, haven't you asked your cable operator what the extra hundred rupees is for? And also mention if you're using your own CPE (Customer Premises Equipment) ... i.e. your own router, or did you get one from the cable operator?

No, I have taken nothing extra from them. The router was provided free of cost in lieu of 3 month prepayment. They said the extra 100/- is for maintenance charges taken by the operator. And this 100/- is being charged every month.

Hi,

I suggest calling them directly on their new, toll-free, customer care number, which is: 1-800-419-0616, as that is probably the best way to reach them. I'm assuming you have used web methods for now.
well why keep the option if they don't respond. bad customer service.

No, I have taken nothing extra from them. The router was provided free of cost in lieu of 3 month prepayment. They said the extra 100/- is for maintenance charges taken by the operator. And this 100/- is being charged every month.
Well, I have never heard of any cable operator so far, which would charge extra for maintenance from the customer, for a service which they are already getting a cut off of, from Excitel.

Did they tell you about this when you signed up for the connection? Or did they introduce this extra charge later on? I'm not sure what you can do in this sort of a situation, although, I'll try to ask around and would post back if I obtain insight on this matter.

well why keep the option if they don't respond. bad customer service.

So they didn't get back to you yet, based on the request you sent from their website/social networking methods?

Well, as far as the question of customer service quality is concerned, I'm pretty sure customer service is not the most common thing that an ISP develops and excels at, at first, especially when they're still in a nascent stage of their business, as compared to other "set-in" / major ISPs. I know that, we, as customers have a tendency to (consciously or sub-consciously) compare the standard of customer service provided by newer ISPs with that of older ones, which is not a fair apple to apple comparison, in my honest opinion.

It can be considered a practical approach, by default, that if you're signing up for an ISP that's still in its nascent stage, that their customer service is generally going to give you a tough time, at least sometimes. In fact, if a customer decides to try a new ISP with this frame of mind already maintained, he/she would be in a better position and state of mind, lest he/she would be frustrated easily, not recognizing the fact that they're making an inappropriate comparison, in most cases, unknowingly.

Furthermore, people who have their work / office arrangements relying upon their internet connection, should never, in my opinion, choose to try a newer ISP, and especially not if they plan to keep just a single internet connection, in that regard. There should always be a backup connection for redundancy that one could fall back to, in case something goes south, for such customers.

Also, people who need 99.99% uptime for whatever reason, and are totally rigid and not flexible in this regard, should also not opt for newer ISPs. A more realistic uptime expectation for such ISPs should be around 97%, which could vary depending upon the quality of the LCO (Local Cable Operator), since I've already mentioned and explained the importance of cable operators, when opting for such "cable broadband" oriented ISPs.

yeah that's what. airtel bb has given me 99.999% uptime over the last 8 years and they come within 3-4 hours if ever anything goes wrong with line. too addicted to internet and dont get much data internet by office sim to bear any further delay than 1 day which can happen with the new companies who offer faster speeds. yes they did not respond on email or my mobile.

yeah that's what. airtel bb has given me 99.999% uptime over the last 8 years and they come within 3-4 hours if ever anything goes wrong with line. too addicted to internet and dont get much data internet by office sim to bear any further delay than 1 day which can happen with the new companies who offer faster speeds. yes they did not respond on email or my mobile.

The deciding factor with such ISPs is your LCO (Local Cable Operator). If you have a good LCO, one which manages and maintains its local network properly, you wouldn't have more downtime than maybe 15-30 minutes on some odd days, spread out throughout the day, not all at once. So maybe a downtime for 5 minutes a couple of times a day on some odd days here and there. Nothing mission critical.

However, if you have a shitty LCO (pardon my language here), you're in for a huge headache most of the time. The difference between both the situations is extreme. In this case, the downtime can last for up to 6-8 hours, at a stretch. This situation can also be made worse if your LCO is not only lazy, but also technologically incompetent.

This is the main thing that the average customer needs to understand. Excitel itself has like, close to about 99% up-time. Its these stupid LCOs which are yet to upgrade their old, sloppy local networks, which causes interruptions to the customer, whereas, meanwhile, the Excitel network would be functioning perfectly. The main reason of this dependence on LCOs, currently, is because the fiber cable owned by Excitel, which is very expensive and maintained very, very well and which represents the main Excitel network is only laid down until your locality's main entry point / junction. Thereafter, from that point, normal cat 5/5e Ethernet cables are used by running them along electric poles, in an old fashioned way, to connect the customers to Excitel's premium network. Therefore, no matter how well Excitel's network is running, via its fiber cable, the customer is not going to be able to reach it, if the intermediary LCO's network is not functioning properly, similar to how the popular saying goes - "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

This is the weakest link, as you can possibly guess by now. Excitel has mentioned that the final goal is end-to-end connectivity with fiber cable, which would eliminate this weak link, corresponding to the dependence on the LCO's maintenance procedures. Although, as you can guess, that's still far from becoming a reality, at present. Why, you would wonder? Well, first off, fiber cables are super expensive. To add to the trouble, they're much more delicate than normal Ethernet cables, or, for that matter, much more delicate than most of all the cables used currently. This also makes repair and maintenance of fiber cables much more expensive and difficult. Furthermore, you'd assume that as long as the fiber cables are outside the customer's premises, that Excitel would manage it well, but the average customer might not be so careful at first and any damages near or inside the customer premises can be more often than would be normally feasible, especially for a newer ISP.

Last edited:
tldr, sounds like a easy excuse incase issues arise. just blame the lco

I've experienced the LCO - new ISP combination situation for several months until now, so I speak based off of my experiences and findings.

Your comment on the other hand, seems like a non-serious response, more like a hunch, based off of guesses and assumptions.

That, along with the initial "tldr", trollish reply, reflects the credibility of each of those responses.

There is nothing wrong with LCO partnership. I personally had good LCO which was always available but did get some disconnections. I guess Excitel should have some sort of quality guidelines or something but then there are legal and Government issues so I don't know.

Another thing is it says on its site that Excitel is having FTTB in some areas (might be yours too?)
I also am not sure if giving FTTB to areas like colonies should be possible/economical until they are developed. There are so many wires hanging everywhere so I'm not even sure if it would be a good idea. At most they should have the LCOs run FTTN.

There is nothing wrong with LCO partnership. I personally had good LCO which was always available but did get some disconnections. I guess Excitel should have some sort of quality guidelines or something but then there are legal and Government issues so I don't know.

Trust me on this brother, (im laughing while posting this) I've seen some really trash tier LCOs. Oh my god, some of them are so bad, seriously. I've seen their "repair guys" performing repairs on DPs (Distribution Panels) on electric poles ... one of them was so technically incompetent that they couldn't fix a customer's issue for over a week and Excitel's engineer had to be called and he fixed the aforementioned customer's issue within 2-3 hours. And the problem wasn't even within the Excitel network in this particular case ... rather on a switch within the LCO's DP. So basically some of them are so bad that they need the ISPs assistance for things that they should be managing and fixing themselves.

can anyone posts his latency in online games and how stable connection is during gaming
indian servers, Singapore, EU servers which are common for gaming here
csgo, dota2, battlefield, league of legends or any online game you have tried with this ISP

can anyone posts his latency in online games and how stable connection is during gaming
csgo, dota2, battlefield, league of legends or any online game you have tried with this ISP

I don't play CS:GO, although I do own it on Steam, and neither do I play any other games you mentioned, except for League of Legends, which, if you play on the EUW (Europe West) server, you get a ping of about 120-130.

Although I've stopped playing now, due to lack of time.

I don't play CS:GO, although I do own it on Steam, and neither do I play any other games you mentioned, except for League of Legends, which, if you play on the EUW (Europe West) server, you get a ping of about 120-130.

Although I've stopped playing now, due to lack of time.
Ever tried garena lol and its pings ?

Can anyone else tell me about this ISPs latency ?

Ever tried garena lol and its pings ?

Can anyone else tell me about this ISPs latency ?

Yes, I did. Although the ping times to Garena servers were bad, when I tried it. In fact, EUW had a lower ping than Garena servers. I think I was playing on the Singapore Garena server, if I'm not mistaken. I used to get a ping of 150 there.

Another thing to note is that back when I used to play on Garena servers using Excitel, Garena SG was facing some routing issues with Indian players. Due to this, there were huge spikes in the ping times. I think that should be fixed now, although you would need to confirm that on the Garena forum.

I play GTA V online on my PS3 regularly.. Haven't faced any connection issues..

CSGO - 15 on Indian servers

Back