(Exclusive) Try Times Of India App

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatter

Skilled
Hello all,

I believe some members here are aware that I work for Times Of India, Editorial. We are working on our Android app and we feel that it's ready for some closed group testing.

With Android eco-system full of different kind of cellphones with different set of software UIs and hardware, I will greatly appreciate if people using Android phones here can use the app and give their feedback ... positive or negative as it will help us fine-tune the app for the best user experience. This is first time this app is being shown to people outside TOI office :)

To try the official TOI App, just list your cellphone model, installed Android version, location and the type of network (Edge, 3G, Wi-Fi) in this thread. I will PM the link to APK.

Request you to share your experiences in this thread.

App highlights:

- City specific news: TOI has an extensive network of reporters and we cover India in a most comprehensive manner. This gives us ability to bring city-specific news on mobile phones.

- Movie reviews: The well-known Nikhat Kazmi reviews now on the mobile

- Photo gallery

- Read what people say about the news of the day in Comments

- Explore the customization options

- Explore how you can share the news stories on facebook, Twitter etc

Important: It's not the final product. So, there could be crashes and bugs. But if you report them, it will help us improve.

1:-

HTC G2 (800X480)

Android 2.3.3

Edge/Wifi

2:-

Samsung Galaxy Tab(1024X600)

Android 2.2

Edge/Wifi

@hatter

On a side note, how does it matter which android phone does one have ??

Is the app resolution fixed or you have different APKs for different versions of resolutions

@ M.Khurana: Yes, it's different. It's the official App

@ Raksrules: There is only single apk. I need model numbers and android build so that we can see how well the app is working on different hardware and software stack

Installed and tried out for the past 5 mins. SO far so good. Installation went smooth. Articles loaded without problems. Will update here if I face any problems/bugs.

Facing issues with videos part of the app. Getting the following error when trying to play any video...

Sorry, this video is not valid for streaming to this device

^^ Oops, my mistake. We are facing some issues with Video streaming. Video feature is not working yet.

Should have listed it in the beginning.

While checking the pics there is a text which comes below the pic. I cannot figure out a way to remove that text to view the entire pic :S

Any one ??

^^ Link sent

To all,

In specific, if you can, please comment on:

- UI and how intuitive it is

- Responsiveness

- Font and readability

- Customization options

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

raksrules said:
While checking the pics there is a text which comes below the pic. I cannot figure out a way to remove that text to view the entire pic :S

Any one ??
Single tap... It works on both pics and text

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

raksrules said:

Any one ??
Single tap... it works on both Pics and text (while reading a story)

I found the UI pretty good and usable. App is responsive enough.

Liked the option for changing font size in the articles. The problem is, the app doesn't seem to remember my choice of font size. I select small font size in an article, go back to the main page showing the list of articles, and then select a new article to read - it again changes back to default normal font size. I don't find an option to select and save font size in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back