PC Peripherals Extending WiFi range With second WiFi router and LAN cable. Help !!!!!!!!

Skyh3ck

Adept
Hello

I want to extend my WiFi signal range with installing second Router and using a Ethernet cable.

I have two houses about 20 meter apart, one house has TP Link wifi router installed, on the second house i get wifi signal to medium to low strength and some time no signal at all.

So i want to install another router to my second house and use an ethernet cable to connect the second router with main router, so that in second house i can use internet without any hassle.

I am thinking to buy a good quality dual band 5 Ghz wifi router and connect it with ethernet cable and use in my second house.

Request you all expert to help me on this, what kind of cable should i get and what is the best router i can get.

I am thinking to get at least 25 meter cable so that i do not fall short of cable.

Both house has 2 mobile, 1 Smart TV, one Laptop and 1 Desktop each, so both house will use same internet but with separate router.

Please help me here.

Thanks

It should work without too much of a hassle. After all ISPs used to use this technique for end-mile connetivity before fibre came along.

Go for 2x Asus RT-AC68U or even 1 and connect them via the 25 m LAN cable.

The router which handles the Access Point in the secondary house needs to be connected to the main router via the LAN cable. It should be connected to the LAN port of the main router and WAN port of the secondary one.

what kind of setting i need to do in both the router, i mean in main and secondary

also if i change the main router, do i have to call the Internet guy to setup something, as when last time i changed the router it did not work, and i called the guy he came and did some setting, do Innter provide register the router on their network or we can do it

also how much a good quality 25M cable will cost,

Which internet connection do you have? If it is hathway or any cable-based internet service provider then they will have to come to make the configuration changes on your primary router if you change it.

If it is ACT or fiber based router then all you need is to enter the username and password details in the PPPOE screen.

Decent Cate 5e LAN cable should cost you around Rs.500 for 25m. That will support up to Gigabit speeds which i'm assuming is more than enough for your requirements. If you want to future proof it then go with Cat 6 cables which will cost you more.

As for the settings on the primary and secondary router:
  • Primary router: As set by your ISP or whatever is currently in use.
  • Secondary router: Set it in AP mode. You can either keep the same Wifi username and password or different. I keep them different to avoid any confusion.

what is wifi repeater, booster and extender

is it same as wifi router
Post automatically merged:

i am using a cable internet, so i think i have to call the guy

but what is repeater, booster and extender, is it same but i guess they also needs to be in wifi range to extend or boost signal right ???

what is wifi repeater, booster and extender

is it same as wifi router

i am using a cable internet, so i think i have to call the guy

but what is repeater, booster and extender, is it same but i guess they also needs to be in wifi range to extend or boost signal right ???
It is used to extend ur wifi signal. A extender, normal one costs 1 to 1.5k and very effective to extend without any wires, plus consume less space and electricity

since i already have one TP Link router, i am only buying one new router and 25 meter ethernet cable to connect both

i will use new router as primary and current TP link as secondary, and connect both with ethernet cable.

Please help which one should i get

You just need to set the second router as "Access Point" and connect a LAN cable from one of the LAN ports of the existing port to any of the LAN port of the new router. If the new router does not have a setup where you cannot set it to "Access Point" mode. then do the following.
1) Change the ip address of the router to a different address than the 1'st router. For eg. if your first router is 192.168.1.1, set the second router as 192.168.1.2
2) Disable the DHCP on the LAN interface of the 2'nd router

Set the WiFi settings as per your needs on the 2'nd router

now my question is will it show two different wifi network or only the primary will show, and second will not show

which router should i get, also what is Wifi 6

now my question is will it show two different wifi network or only the primary will show, and second will not show

It will show 2 different WiFi networks, more if the router is dual band and guest enabled

WiFi6 is the latest WiFi standard. You can get a WiFi6 router if you have WiFi6 clients and a dense client deployment as you would get significant benefits. Otherwise get any decent dual band router in your budget.

Last edited:
Budget is upto 3 k

But if I get good device or good hardware can stretch little bit

so the devices which will be connected are

2 Smart TV
6 -8 Android Phone
3 Laptops
1 Gaming console

not all will be connected at the same time, only on rare occassion, but this all devices i have

two TV and Gaming console will be connected mostly with LAN cable, so to reduce load on Wifi signal

but also there will be two separate router, right, i just want the main router

how is this one

TP Link Archer C60 - If anyone can explain Archer seriers

this one has 5 antenna.

Last edited:
Back