External GPU

Had no idea we can add Graphics Card externally until I saw this on Amazon. Is it a costly business? What are the problems associated with it.

1688641449647.png

It's messy stuff, and not worth it imo. there are plug and play enclosures available which can connect to your laptop directly if you have thunderbolt port available.
Without thunderbolt you'll have to connect to pcie slot on mobo (nvme slot or wifi card slot etc.)

GPU will need be powered externally.

Cons:
1. If you don't have Thunderbolt port, you will have to use the (mini?) PCIe port - depending on your laptop design, it might render your laptop immobile. You will have to buy a PSU and a case to protect the external components

2. If you do use Thunderbolt, the external case itself will cost quite a bit (it won't come with a GPU). It would be cheaper to build a separate desktop for gaming

In the end, if you really need mobile gaming, get a gaming laptop and sacrifice battery runtime.

That looks too small to be a GPU. Just the size of laptop battery.
That's just the "adapter". You need to attach a PSU and a regular desktop GPU to it for it to function

Thunderbolt, thunderbolt, thunderbolt. And if your laptop came with one, it probably has a nice GPU in it. Also, the case doesn't have GPU though. E-GPUs only make sense in professional settings like e-sports, graphics design (those assholes who insist on being mobile and get a PO approved for their e-gpu), workshops etc

I have an hp mini pc, from what I read, all I need to do is hook this up to the m.2 nvme slot in the tiny pc, connect this to a power supply and monitor and I should be in business. Where exactly can things go wrong? I know my way around assembling/repairing hw

I have an hp mini pc, from what I read, all I need to do is hook this up to the m.2 nvme slot in the tiny pc, connect this to a power supply and monitor and I should be in business. Where exactly can things go wrong? I know my way around assembling/repairing hw
There is nothing to go wrong (assuming you can connect it to m.2 slot), it's just the cost of doing it. But yeah if you have use case then go ahead try it out and let us know how it goes.

Signal degradation has been a reported issue. You might/might not face it. I don't really know anything more about this. Just remember learning this from an older LTT video (around 5:30 - 7:00).

Back