Storage Solutions External HDD has data but is asking for format

clown_abhi

Skilled
Hey guys,

Need some help.
I have a Maxtor Portable 250GB HDD. It was working fine till yesterday.
A friend came and bumped into it and it fell and after that lots of data was corrupted. I ran chkdsk and then the OS is saying i have to format the drive before i can use it.

Ran Acronis Disk Director for recovery of partitions but seems like the partition is already dere along with the data intact. But its also asking for format before i can use the drive!
Can anybody tell how to recover the data or make the drive usable without losing the data? :huh:

No idea on how to use it with out formatting, but
Use Getdata for fat/NTFS and recover the data. It will do the job very cleanly

Sry, it is Getbackdata for NTFS/FAT.

I think you need to change the settings...

try
1. Default settings(1st option)
2. Installed os or something similar.(3rd option i guess)

clown_abhi said:
Hey guys,

Need some help.
I have a Maxtor Portable 250GB HDD. It was working fine till yesterday.
A friend came and bumped into it and it fell and after that lots of data was corrupted. I ran chkdsk and then the OS is saying i have to format the drive before i can use it.

Ran Acronis Disk Director for recovery of partitions but seems like the partition is already dere along with the data intact. But its also asking for format before i can use the drive!
Can anybody tell how to recover the data or make the drive usable without losing the data? :huh:
I had a similar problem with a WD Caviar 500 GB drive. I did a Quick Format and then recovered all my data using Data Doctor Recovery NTFS.

Had the same issue with a Transcend portable drive. Getdataback was able to recover everything.

I guess this happens when one of the bad sectors are where the MFT is stored.

A small tip - you would probably speed things up if you 'image' the disk (I used "drive snapshot") and then run a recovery on the disk image.

@Everybody,

Thanks a lot for the replies. :)

Already tried Partition Table Doctor but no use. The partition i can see in Windows but its in accesible saying Data Error Cyclic Redundancy Check
And the asking for format.

Will try Getbackdata now. Will let u know guys what happens.

BTW, is it better to quick format and then recover the files? :huh:

Then use R Studio NTFS to recover data before doing the quickformat, once you recover all your data, do a full format and scan for bad sectors, then transfer your data back.

In R Studio just right click on your drive and choose scan.

It will show ur damaged partition with all your files and folders.

Check mark the folders and files to be recovered and set a destination folder, thats it.

No need to create any images as this will not modify any data on your disk. It opens the drive in a read-only mode, and write mode enables only if you manually choose to.

Cheers!

Just a word of caution before you embark on this journey. Most of the recovery tools suggested to you, including the one I suggested, Data Doctor Recovery NTFS, are not freeware. Many will scan and display what they can recover but will not do any recovery without the license.

So please ensure that before you start.

Back