Graphic Cards external psu for gfx card

divagara

Disciple
hi guys,
jus wanted to kno if an external psu(as in old psu) can be used seperately only for powering up da gfx card...while using another psu for rest of the system???
pls gimme ur guidance.......:)

Why not just use a decent powerful enough single PSU. A dual PSU for normal use is not advisable, let alone using an old/cheap one for ur PSU :S or for rest of the system. If it does require sizable power it is expensive & u probably don want it running on an old/cheap one. Also not very good for the aesthetics with 1 PSU outside the cabby.

Good DIY project may b. Something like this - Dual PSU How-Tos - Overclockers Forums

I read somewhere in the TE forums someone using multiple PSU - which kind of advanced juggad technology -read overclocking which need some good knowledge of how psu works and what power regulation of the computer. Its not advisable -better invest in a good powerfull psu with 30-40% extra power for any future upgrade.Search TE forums -there are plenty of threads on PSU

thanx guys.........new psu not feasible as budget is really low.....will try and make do wid second psu...also not a new card.....buying used card.........

i have 1 400w psu wid 20a on +12v rail and 1 300w psu wid 15a on +12v rail.......was thinking of using 300w for mobo+cpu+ram.....

and 400w for gfx+hdd........

btw...da card is 8800gts......

divagara said:
hi guys,
jus wanted to kno if an external psu(as in old psu) can be used seperately only for powering up da gfx card...while using another psu for rest of the system???
pls gimme ur guidance.......:)

my frnd tried and the power tripped.
there are some PSU available for powering parts of a system. Bu t u can buy a TX 750 for tht price.

Yes, it is possible but it doesn’t mean it has to be done. Just get an overall decent single PSU for the entire system which will work out much better in terms of performance, price and aesthetics.

Back