EXTERNAL SSD TRANSFER SPEEDS

Kmkaks

Disciple
Hi guys, was wondering what transfer speeds I can expect when transferring data via USB C 3.1(Gen1) from a laptop having 5400rpm HDD to a Samsung T5 SSD? Is the HDD the bottleneck causing speeds of 70-80MBPS?
Edit: Via USB 3.0 I am getting 40 MBPS?

I mean, I expected superfast transfer speeds of 400-500MBPS and am now dissapointed. If this was the case, I would have gone for a 4TB external HDD.

Thanks for your help guys. This is my first thread here in these forums.

Last edited:
Yes, your internal 5400 rpm hdd is most likely the bottle neck. Googling '5400 rpm hdd max speed' shows about 100MB/s for 5400rpm and about 120MB/s for 7200rpm(read and write). It also depends on what file numbers and file sizes you are transferring. Your transfer speeds of 70-80MB/s is around expected figures.

If you upgrade your internal to a ssd, you should get around max speed of 500MB/s (internal should be sata3 connection, sata3 limit is about 600MB/s). If you have NVMe slot then you could see much higher speeds.

HDD tx speeds also depend on the location on the platter, the data is located, as well as how fragmented the file is.

Regarding usb3, I've seen around 100MB/s with my old 1tb wd passport. But no way you're getting 400MB/s read from a 5400rpm hdd.

Back